Aqualung Legend ACD or Atomic B2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curiousgeorgie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any advice on which one I should buy and why? I'm leaning towards the Aqualung but am wondering if the lack of a swiveling first and second stage will make it more uncomfortable and I've also heard that the second stage on the Aqualung is heavy.

Maintenance wise, which one will be easier and less expensive in the long run? I like that with Atomic, it only needs service every two years. Does it matter that the Atomic B2 in not environmentally sealed?

I dive approximately 30 - 40 dives a year, mostly in warm water.

Thanks for any advice.

You can get a B2 env. sealed, you just need to request one.

IMHO the Atomic is the better reg, and since you mostly dive warm water, there is no reason to get the environmentally sealed version. It just adds to the cost of having it serviced because they have to put at least an ounce of Christolube in the sealed chamber.

But if you are buying from an authorized reseller (which I recommend for Regs & computers) the Legend might be less expensive to maintain because you get free parts for life as long as you service it annually. But it depends on the service cost. The Atomic is every 2 years, and you have to buy the parts, or the Legend is serviced annually, and you get free parts.

I am selling a Legend (non-ACD version) because I like the Atomic better.

I think swivels on 1st stages are overrated, but the 2nd stage swivel is nice.

If you decided which features you want/ need then buy the reg that fits those needs you will be happy.

The only advice I give is to dig deep and get the Good stuff the first time otherwise you will be unhappy the whole time you are saving to buy the other one.

You can't go wrong with either. I like the Atomic, I've had one for years. The second stage is very light and there is very little drag. I use mine in warm and cold water with no problems. I've never used a swivel on a second stage but I've never felt the need to try it either.

I think you'll be very happy with either regulator, they are both excellent.
Personally I prefer the Atomics.

Service cost will likely be comparable, because you get free parts on the Aqualung, but you only do a full overhaul on the Atomics every couple years. Bear in mind though that once you lapse on your annual service the free parts warranty goes away. (edit: for the Aqualung. Atomic doesn't offer free service kits.)

Both are excellent regs. But Atomic seems to be a more customer friendly manufacturer.

Another vote for the B2! :D
I'd get it even without the swivel joint,
but it is a cool comfort feature. It's also
pretty light, which makes a difference in
my dive bag. I also dive nitrox often.

I have 4 Atomic regs and am very happy with them. Service is unparalleled.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Both breath about the same. On the surface the atomic is lighter but I could not notice the weight underwater. I going to get the legend, myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom