Aqualung Legend ACD vs Legend LX ACD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stormbringer:
Well, I got my money back...still not happy about the way I was treated. I had asked specifically for the Legend LX on the phone and later in Dive World San Antonio's dive shop and I ended up getting the non LX "plain jane" Legend ACD for over the suggested retail price of $495 (they charged me $540 plus tax...around $583). What kills me is that after having bought a new tank there recently and other items they would rather I go up to Austin to buy my new regulator than to match the "retail" price of the Austin store. That's just a lousy way to run a business as I see it and they won't get any more of my money. The tank I bought comes with a free year of air and that is all they'll see of me till that expires. As fate would have it my van started having some problems that need work on so I'm going to wait and decide what to do on the reg thing after the van has been repaired.

Look for a PM from me.

Stormbringer:
As fate would have it my van started having some problems that need work on so I'm going to wait and decide what to do on the reg thing after the van has been repaired.

The "free octo" deal expires I think July 31st. So if you want to get that 'deal' you'll need to evaluate if you want to act on your purchase before then.

Still pretty crappy that your LDS charged you about 10% above 'list price' for a regulator that you can easily buy other places at 10% to 30% below 'list price'. If they made a mistake that's one thing, but they appear to have blatenly done it.

Oh they were very blatant about it...especially when I pointed out to their manager that I had just got off the phone with both an Austin Dive Shop and Aqualung America itself who confirmed the mfg list prices. I wasn't asking for a 10-30% discount just the opportunity to pay the mfg list "retail" price and they wouldn't budge. I even asked "why should I have to go to Austin just to pay retail" this after I've recently bought a new tank and was planning other purchases from them. Now I won't give them a dime...I'll just take my new tank over there for the free air for a year. Then I'm done with them.

mike_s:
The "free octo" deal expires I think July 31st. So if you want to get that 'deal' you'll need to evaluate if you want to act on your purchase before then.

Still pretty crappy that your LDS charged you about 10% above 'list price' for a regulator that you can easily buy other places at 10% to 30% below 'list price'. If they made a mistake that's one thing, but they appear to have blatenly done it.

Now get this...last night I get an email from the manager letting me know that he'll refund my tank purchase. I never even asked for a refund for that...in fact it was Dive World in San Antonio, TX that offered to refund the regulator after they wouldn't budge on the price difference and would rather I travel to an Austin Dive shop just to pay the regular "retail" price. I never asked them for a refund. In the end I took advantage of the offer while it was still good...I would rather have my money in my hand and able to spend it where its appreciated. Anyway, I emailed back saying I'll consider the tank refund. I guess they are affraid I'll talk to their customers and fellow dive buddies in the parking lot when I go and get my free air fills.

All I can say is thanks guys...without you and Scubaboard I never would have called Aqualung America or Tom's Dive Shop in Austin and found out about my getting screwed over on the price (for a regulator I didn't even ask for). I guess things just get better...this is the same Dive World San Antonio I took my US Divers Conshelf 22 back in May of this year for annual service and then 2 dives later at a depth of 25' the HP hose comes loose from my SPG in my console and vents out most of my remaining air though the HP port hose. I guess they didn't bother to check the connections while the regulator was in for service. I think its definately time to leave that dive shop.

Up to you on what to do with the tank, but sounds like they might be taking the attitude that "you" are the "problem" here and not them and that they might be trying to "cut ties" with you as a customer. Like, let's just give him a refund on that tank so we don't have to deal with him again.... Of course that's just an assumption.

Like Rich said above. vote with your wallet (when someone is trying to screw you).

As for the other dive shop, TOM's in Austin. You can do a search and they seem to be well liked. Here's a thread about favorite Austin dive shops.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124906

That's the thought I got. Funny isn't it. All I wanted was the Legend LX ACD its what I asked specifically for and isn't what I got from their new salesman who didn't know the difference when he sold me the Legend ACD. Even the manager explained it as a mixup in his email to me and that his salesman wasn't fully up to date with all the items they sold. Only when researching the difference between the plain jane Legend ACD and the Legend LX ACD did I learn I also overpayed for the regulator...so now I'm the problem. This coupled with the problem I had 25' underwater with my HP hose connection on my SPG in my Aqualung console 2 dives after I got it back from them after its anual service just makes me wonder what their problem is. I didn't make a stink about the SPG hose connection issue and subsequently bought a new tank and tried to by a new regulator. Somehow I think the problem isn't me.

mike_s:
Up to you on what to do with the tank, but sounds like they might be taking the attitude that "you" are the "problem" here and not them and that they might be trying to "cut ties" with you as a customer. Like, let's just give him a refund on that tank so we don't have to deal with him again.... Of course that's just an assumption.

Like Rich said above. vote with your wallet (when someone is trying to screw you).

As for the other dive shop, TOM's in Austin. You can do a search and they seem to be well liked. Here's a thread about favorite Austin dive shops.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124906

I ordered an Aqua Lung Legend LX Supreme w/acd in the DIN config a couple of weeks ago to get the deal... All good and im very excited about it, but I found out today its back ordered from AL and AL was unable to provide a date as to when it might be. My LDS is apologetic, but its not his fault.

Oh well, I can wait, but damn its hard!

-Josh

Vote with the wallet is the only way and well done for going back to the dive shop. Many people just accept it and never challenge such poor customer service.

It is LDS's like the one you talked about that give all LDS a bad reputation.

With your budget I would also call Divetank or Scubatoys and say you need a reg and tank. I am sure either could hook you up with a great reg set up.

Goodluck.

Back
Top Bottom