Aqualung Legend LX vs. Atomic B2 or ST1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the first part but I don't service my own regs or have the test equipment so I'll be following the factory recommend service schedule.

Out of those, I can put another vote for the Atomics. You are based in Illinois and I am assuming that you will be doing a lot of Great Lakes cold water diving. My regulator of choice would be the Atomic M1 which is their cold water model.

I am current owner of both Atomics and AL Legend.

Atomics are M1, B2s and T2. IMO, if cost is an issue, there is no reason to get high end Atomics. They are all basically the same except for cosmetics especially for recreational dives. So between your choice in Atomics, B2 vs ST1, I will say B2. I also agree with ScareSilly, there is no need to seal Atomics. I also have a few Mk25s where ambient chamber isn't sealed. No issue with freezing or any kind of corroations. I guess seal is nice to have, but doesn't little in practics.

For AL Legend, it was given to me from a friend. I must say I am impressed with the build quality. It is at least on par with Atomics. Performance wise, I can't tell any differences. Between AL and Atomics, it is tough call. I am partial to Atomics because I have them first, I am familiar with them. One service kit and one procedure.

Ah but you do not need much in terms of test equipment. Just get an Intermediate Pressure Gauge. When the IP is out of line with spec you know it is time to get them serviced.

In the mean time check out this sticky: Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-7)

That's a great idea. I'm pretty mechanical and can easy do an inspection of my regs and check the IP. But I don't own a tank. I fly or drive to the FL Keys or Caribbean for diving so I never needed to buy a tank. I only dived once in an Illinois quarry and the temp was pretty warm and I don't plan on cold water diving. Maybe it's time to do my own reg inspection and service. Which is easier to rebuild, the B2 or the Legend?

I have serviced both the Atomics and the ALs. The Atomics are way easier to service. The one thing that some of the ALs have is the ACD automatic closure device to prevent water from coming into the 1st stage while rinsing. For people who insist on submerging their 1st stages unpressurized and forget the dust cover, this may be of some value.

I have used an ST1 for the last 4 years and 600 dives. I think that it is well worth the small difference in price over the B series. It still looks great minus some small scratches. Since it is a matte finish, you don't notice the scratches the same as on chrome or zirconium. It is also one of the few "green" regulators if that is off any importance.

A lot of people opt to remove the christolube during servicing and replacing the solid rubber seal with the perforated one so that the regulator can operate properly. I have used mine to 50 degrees in 0 vis water without ill effect without the christolube.

On the subject of water going back up the hose because of the seat saver: According to the guy who teaches the Atomic service seminars at DEMA, this is a non-issue. I haven't tested that myself, but may one day.

I disagree on the bit about the sealed first stage for the Atomic, in my experience it is well worth it and would help prevent issues in the ambient chamber. I have serviced many Atomic and SP regulators (in addition to many other brands) over a 20 year period and there are instances where sand, crud, etc. entered this chamber and caused issues with the first stage. The sealed Atomic regulators never had these issues. It is a tiny price to pay for this option to get more reliability.

Sealed FS isn't just about cold water protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom