Aqualung Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVFT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am newer into diving, but just moved to Florida and plan on diving much more. As such, I was looking to buy my own equipment. I was originally going to go with MK25/S600 because of all the praise that it gets on the forums. However, as a newer diver, I don't think I'm going to be able to tell the difference between a top of the line reg vs a middle of the road reg. So my question is which of the following regs would you recommend:

Aqualung Legend LX (129620) currently on sale at my LDS for $449

or

Hollis DC1/212 for $425

I've read nothing but good things for these two regs. Are either of these regs less prone to cotton mouth? I also know that Aqualung is more serviceable worldwide. Is this a good deal for the Aqualung? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

---------- Post added June 9th, 2014 at 07:55 PM ----------

or perhaps this used MK17/S600 for $325

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-regulators/484780-scuba-pro-mk17-s600-$325.html

Having owned an AL Legend they do breath nice. I now own a Titan LX and really can't tell the difference. I would add that to your list. AL runs an octo for free special every year or so in the fall if you can wait. Your LDS price is good. They normally go for about $625. AL is strict with their pricing and shops don't have too much leeway so this may be old stock which is good for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Between AL Legend and Hollis DC1/212, and the extra $24, definitely AL Legend. Hollis first stage is good quality, but 2nd stage is not. I don't think $425 for DC1/212 is a deal at all.

I appreciate the responses, everybody. I think i am leaning towards Legend LX, but I am open to other suggestions. Like I said originally, I planned on going with the MK25/S600 but am unable to justify the $729 price point. I honestly don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between that and the Legend LX...especially only being able to compare them to rental regs. Any other suggestions?

I use a Legend LX Supreme for more than a year and would highly recommend it based on its performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rns5027, before sealing the deal, consider the kind of first stage you are buying and the diving you intend to do. If you plan on ever doing technical or cave dives, you'd better purchase a DIN first stage. If you are sure you will only be interested in recreational diving, a yoke regulator may be better, considering that you would need an adaptor to use a DIN regulator on a yoke tank valve and that some places only have yoke valves. If you buy a yoke now and later decide to get into cave or technical diving, your regulator, high quality as it may be, will not be used.

I can't make a comparison because I've never tried the Hollis but I have an Aqualung legend for the last.... want to say, 12 years and I've been very happy with it.

R..

I would not purchase an Aqualung new. If you look on eBay you will find that their resale value is terrible. Scubapro has much better resale value.
My picks for a good deal: Call Dolphin Scuba and ask for this. This is the equivalent of a MK17/S560 and is made by Scubapro. This is an excellent deal on a Hollis Regulator.

I own two Aqualung Legend LX supreme's, one for about 8 years and the other for two or three. It is a great reg and you will not be sorry you bought it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom