Aqualung Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the responses, everybody. I think i am leaning towards Legend LX, but I am open to other suggestions. Like I said originally, I planned on going with the MK25/S600 but am unable to justify the $729 price point. I honestly don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between that and the Legend LX...especially only being able to compare them to rental regs. Any other suggestions?

Between Legend and mk25/s600, I don't think there is much difference in performance to begin. So not being able to notice is normal.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 12:10 PM ----------

.... This is an excellent deal on a Hollis Regulator.

This is exactly the reason I said $425 isn't a deal for Hollis reg at all. This kind of deal for hollis happens very often.

My first reg is Hollis DC2/212. I think the reg breath well, but I also think most regs, when properly tuned, breath well at recreation depth anyway. Other incontinences aside, I think 212 2nd stage is of low build quality. The casing is thin hallow plastic. Air tube is also plastic. Fit and finish (gaps, threads ..) are not tight. A few dives in Norcal beaches, sands would travel inside gaps. When turning knobs, I can hear sand grinding sound.

Now, before anyone said this can happen to any 2nd stages, I can tell you that my next set of regs consist of Hog, Atomic, Scubapro. I can do many more dives before I felt the need to clean out the sands (This is for HOG). For Atomic and Scubapro 2nds, I haven't feel the need to open the 2nd stage up for cleaning. I know this probably doesn't affect how the 2nd stage function, but if I were to pay $425 kind of money for a set of reg, I will definitely look at Legend, Atomic Z2/3.

I second that on the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. They are awesome. Unless you plan on diving colder temps you probably do not need the Supreme

I dive the AL Legend and can highly recommend it.

I also have an MK25/S600 that I picked up here off of SB for $210 +$85 to service both of them. So for 295, I thought that was a pretty great deal. My son dives that one. The are both fantastic regs.

I always find it funny on here when I see someone refer to Dolphin Scuba since that is my LDS!

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 01:01 PM ----------

I forgot to add, when I switched to the AL from an Oceanic, it came with the comfo bite mouthpiece.

Not only did I get rid of all jaw fatigue I would get with the other reg, but the way it applies a little pressure on the roof of your mouth cause you to salivate a little and greatly reduces the dry mouth.

I put that same mouthpiece on the SP reg as well.

Thanks, guy! Based on a lot of the recommendations, I think I'm ultimately leaning towards the Legend LX. There really doesn't appear to be any negatives for the reg. Is not having a swivel turret really that big of a deal? I played around with the Hollis and honestly I thought it felt a little cheap. Then again, if you can look past that, it appears to be a decent reg at a stellar price of $199. Since everyone was so helpful, I just had one other quick question.

What would you guys recommend for an octo? I would assume it's probably best to stick with aqualung for ease of service. As such, can you really go wrong with an octo? I was thinking:

Aqua Lung Calypso/Titan Octopus at LeisurePro

Thanks!

When it comes to the quality, just keep in mind the type of alternative air source you would want/expect your buddy to have. In the case of an emergency, that is your lifeline. Therefore if you cheap out on an octo (not saying you are), it's your buddy who is losing out. Don't think just because you aren't the one using it that it doesn't have to be of good quality.

When it comes to the quality, just keep in mind the type of alternative air source you would want/expect your buddy to have. In the case of an emergency, that is your lifeline. Therefore if you cheap out on an octo (not saying you are), it's your buddy who is losing out. Don't think just because you aren't the one using it that it doesn't have to be of good quality.

I agree completely. I just wasn't sure if it's justifiable spending $200 for the Legend Octo or if I should just roll with the Calypso/Titan at $99. I don't want to cut any corners, but I would think the Titan octo would be plenty for an alt. air source.

Thanks, guy! Based on a lot of the recommendations, I think I'm ultimately leaning towards the Legend LX. There really doesn't appear to be any negatives for the reg. Is not having a swivel turret really that big of a deal? I played around with the Hollis and honestly I thought it felt a little cheap. Then again, if you can look past that, it appears to be a decent reg at a stellar price of $199. Since everyone was so helpful, I just had one other quick question.

What would you guys recommend for an octo? I would assume it's probably best to stick with aqualung for ease of service. As such, can you really go wrong with an octo? I was thinking:

Aqua Lung Calypso/Titan Octopus at LeisurePro

Thanks!

Excellent choice if you go for the Legend.

Just do yourself a favor and don't buy one of the new Calypsos ( doesn't play a role octopus or primary 2nd). They are real plastic crap and not very reliable as the older models were for decades.

Invest in a Legend octopus. If you treat it right it, in this life you will never be again in need for another regulator.

This is exactly the reason I said $425 isn't a deal for Hollis reg at all. This kind of deal for hollis happens very often.

That regulator is discontinued, the shop obviously has it priced to sell fast. 2014 price guide has suggested retail for the reg at $491, so there is a bit of a deal. I do agree with you though, I personally wouldn't buy Hollis regs due to the amount of plastic they have, I'd go for Apeks over both manufactures when it comes to quality.

Excellent choice if you go for the Legend.

Why? The Kronos that I linked to is a better regulator for less money. Besides the side exhaust the Kronos is also a balanced barrel poppet regulator while the Titan is an unbalanced down-stream design. Also LP is NOT an AL dealer so no parts for life (if this is important to the OP) while Prime Scuba I believe is.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

I'd go for Apeks over both manufactures when it comes to quality.

The Apeks deal I linked to in a previous post is IMHO the best deal on the market at the moment. For $350 you get a complete rig and for another $50 or so you can order the knobs off eBay and install them (youtube video) and have ATX-50s. I don't think the OP realizes that Apeks is an Aqualung company and is one of the favored regs of tech divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom