Aqualung Legend Vs. Atomic Z3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need to make a decision between these two. I can get the Z3 for $530 and the Legend for $570. I'm torn!!

Thoughts?!

what kind of diving do you do? What all is included in that price?
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
remember that for $700 you have a full open water reg system that you can DIY service if you so choose, and it has an extra first stage should you decide to get into doubles, sidemount, pony bottle, or just want to have a spare to bring so if it does have a failure, you can take 3 minutes to swap the hoses over and not miss a dive.

Pros and cons of the two you mentioned
Z3 is made in USA, I like that
Legend is a sealed diaphragm, and I prefer that to a piston. You can seal the Z3, but it is messy and expensive at each service
You can purchase Atomic parts kits if you choose to DIY service and they are some of the best breathers on the market, but the Aqualung is easier to service and tune, and will have better global support.

As usual TBone gave some good thoughts that are spot on. One other item that I really like about the Atomic line up is the interchangeability. Everything is the same functionally, the only difference is the material. A 20 year old Atomic can be updated with the same parts as one made today.

One item that at the time drew my to the Atomic was the form factor of the second stage. It is compact (streamlined) some other second states are more bulky. IIRC the Legend has a similar form factor as the Atomic.

Back
Top Bottom