Aqualung Micron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woops, sorry ... I just went and checked it ... it's a "MICRA" not a "MIKRON." I thought it a little weird that someone was out looking for one.

Looking at the AL site, it looks like only the Titan LX Supreme version is actually environmentally sealed.

New Titan LX:

New Titan LX Supreme:

Compare the tops of those first stages to the Mikron (which is not environmentally sealed):

Too bad really, because most dealers won't bother to stock the Supreme version... Aqualung is such a funny, funny company...

If you want a dinky little regulator ideal for travelling but which is environmentally sealed, you could hang fire for a couple of months and get the brand-new Apeks Flight.

I saw the prototype of it a few months back and it is just as small and compact as the Mikron, but it is fully environmentally sealed and I think it looks better, too.

Mark

If you want a dinky little regulator ideal for travelling but which is environmentally sealed, you could hang fire for a couple of months and get the brand-new Apeks Flight.

I saw the prototype of it a few months back and it is just as small and compact as the Mikron, but it is fully environmentally sealed and I think it looks better, too.

Mark
I would love to see this, though I don't expect to get rid of my XTX100s anytime soon... Got any pics or links to pics? Google doesn't turn up anything.

I believe that the second stage on the new Titan LX (cover change) is the same as the old LX second, which is the same as the Legend second. It has a metal air barrel, is pneumatically balanced and is an excellent second. The first stage, however, is the same as the Mikron.

I would love to see this, though I don't expect to get rid of my XTX100s anytime soon... Got any pics or links to pics? Google doesn't turn up anything.

No, not yet. It should be out in a few months, so check out the web then.

Mark

I am in the market for a new regulator also (time to replace an unbalanced first and second stage Seaquest from 1992). Since the majority of my diving these days seems to involve air travel I went down to the LDS and inquired about the Mikron. I was encouraged by the review of it in the mags as a good breather.

First for those who have not seen it in person it is absolutely tiny, both the first and second stage. It is incredibly light and the flex hose just rocks. It looked like exactly what I was looking for since I am really on a streamlining kick with my equipment (going hoseless on the computer and I think moving to an airsource type of set up for octo/inflator).

I asked the owner what he thought and he said he wanted to like it but that it really didn’t breath that well. He hooked it up to a tank and we messed around with it. It breathed better than mine (but that isn’t saying much since it was the entry level reg in 1992) and I wasn’t too disappointed until.... He then hooked up a Scubapro Mk25 with S600 second stage. Oh my what a difference. But then the price differential is huge. I inquired about this and he hooked up a Aqualung Titan LX (which is in the same price range). It also seemed like a better breather. I asked whether the Mikron had been tuned yet and he indicated it had because he really wanted it to perform better. He indicated it did not do well on his “breathing machine” (I don’t know what that means or what type of machine he used to test it). However, according to Scuba Diving Mag it performed well on the breathing machine. The shop only had one example so maybe this one is defective.

I apologize for the Long winded intro, but I have a question and would really like to hear from those that have used the Mikron in the real world. How did it breath at depth? How does it compare to other regulators? I really wanted this little reg to be a better performer. I have always been somewhat skeptical of the magazine reviews...although they are much better than they use to be.

Hi Brian,

I broke down and bought the mikron this weekend. It was just so tiny and lightweight -I had to go for it. It has to be better than others I've used in the past (rentals). I'll be down in St Thomas next week and will use it then. I'll report back what I think of it - although I may not be the best critic since it is the first one I've ever owned.

Cheers!

BET, It strikes me that the area of the diaphragm is crucial to ease of breathing. I don't believe a small 2nd stage will ever be as easy as a larger one. I have experimented with the Beuchat VR200 with the VR (Micron Size) and the VX (standard size) 2nd stages and there is a definite difference, the larger second stage is easier.

Back
Top Bottom