Aqualung Outlaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thought I'd mention a 'hiccup' i had with my weight pockets recently. I had dialed in my weight perfectly for my usual florida diving with an HP100 tank. I went back to turks and caicos a couple weeks ago and figured I'd add back my usual 6lbs for AL80 diving. I didn't have any other gear like flashlight, smb and reel, dive knife, lobster loop etc. I forgot that stuff adds up! Plus I think I've gained a few pounds of body fat (sigh).

Anyway, I found myself too positive after diving off the boat. I told the guy on the boat to toss me a 4 pounder thinking I could just put into one of my quick release weight pockets. Well, you can pull the pockets out in the water, but you can't put them back in because of how far back they are. And of course with no actual pockets, I had to get back on the boat to fix everything. I was pretty embarrassed.

Hi @hammet

I've thought about your problem with the weights. I would never be able to get the weight pockets placed while in the water, too far back, bad angle from below, flap gets in the way sometimes, the need to get the firm lock in. Much easier with my Scubapro Knighthawk, no problem whatsoever. I'm not fond of the weight pockets. It's one of the reasons I added the trim weights, to take some of the load off the main weight pockets.

OK, so this will be my last post for my review of the Outlaw. See posts #s 57, 63, 65, 80, and 82. I've dived the Outlaw for a couple hundred dives now and have now dived it with my 3, 5, and 7mm wetsuits with appropriate weight for each. My conclusion is that it is inferior for the breadth of my diving and I have generally gone back to a Scubapro Knighthawk.

I really dislike the weight pockets. They are so far back, vertical, and with an unseen locking mechanism. I have now tried replacing them underwater and it is extremely difficult, if not impossible. This is made all the more difficult if you have more weight in the pockets. The weights are so far back that, with a fair amount of weight, it seems like I'm always being rolled to one side or the other, depending on which side is down, very uncomfortable. The trim weights I added to the tank band only made it worse. I am still paranoid of losing a weight pocket due to the way they release with just a firm pull. The simple Scubapro system is easily replaced underwater and is easily verifiable as locked and secure.

The cloth loops and chains are inferior to several well placed D-rings for easy placement and deployment of accessories.

The rear dump is insensitive and poorly responsive to venting gas. The attachment loop is one problem, but even pulling the line directly is unacceptable. I hate using my inflation hose.

The lack of any storage was a problem, I largely fixed that with a single Dive Rite pocket.

The lightness and minimal profile of this BC was very attractive. I may dive it again in the summer when I have my 3mm wetsuit and a minimal amount of weight. Until then, back to my Knighthawk. It flawlessly carries any amount of weight with good trim. The weight pockets are simple and reliable. The rear dump is excellent. Attachment points are good. It has enough pocket storage.

Live and learn,

Craig

Hi @hammet

I've thought about your problem with the weights. I would never be able to get the weight pockets placed while in the water, too far back, bad angle from below, flap gets in the way sometimes, the need to get the firm lock in. Much easier with my Scubapro Knighthawk, no problem whatsoever. I'm not fond of the weight pockets. It's one of the reasons I added the trim weights, to take some of the load off the main weight pockets.

Had I just removed the rig in the water, it would have been a piece of cake. But I had already climbed up onto the swim platform thinking I could just reach back while sitting.

OK, so this will be my last post for my review of the Outlaw. See posts #s 57, 63, 65, 80, and 82. I've dived the Outlaw for a couple hundred dives now and have now dived it with my 3, 5, and 7mm wetsuits with appropriate weight for each. My conclusion is that it is inferior for the breadth of my diving and I have generally gone back to a Scubapro Knighthawk.

I really dislike the weight pockets. They are so far back, vertical, and with an unseen locking mechanism. I have now tried replacing them underwater and it is extremely difficult, if not impossible. This is made all the more difficult if you have more weight in the pockets. The weights are so far back that, with a fair amount of weight, it seems like I'm always being rolled to one side or the other, depending on which side is down, very uncomfortable. The trim weights I added to the tank band only made it worse. I am still paranoid of losing a weight pocket due to the way they release with just a firm pull. The simple Scubapro system is easily replaced underwater and is easily verifiable as locked and secure.

The cloth loops and chains are inferior to several well placed D-rings for easy placement and deployment of accessories.

The rear dump is insensitive and poorly responsive to venting gas. The attachment loop is one problem, but even pulling the line directly is unacceptable. I hate using my inflation hose.

The lack of any storage was a problem, I largely fixed that with a single Dive Rite pocket.

The lightness and minimal profile of this BC was very attractive. I may dive it again in the summer when I have my 3mm wetsuit and a minimal amount of weight. Until then, back to my Knighthawk. It flawlessly carries any amount of weight with good trim. The weight pockets are simple and reliable. The rear dump is excellent. Attachment points are good. It has enough pocket storage.

Live and learn,

Craig

I can't disagree with your assessment. Diving with an HP100, 3mm wetsuit and just 2 lbs in each pocket is nice. This BC was designed for divers who need minimal weight because they are diving in tropical conditions requiring a thin wetsuit or no suit at all and also for thin, muscular divers who have little body fat. Like the Jacques Cousteau crews who just strapped three tanks on their back and little else.

I bought the SP Hydros last year after seeing it demoed at DEMA by the SP designer. Impressive design, dives well, dries fast but comes up short for tropical mainly due to the travel weight. Plus the monoprene material which sticks so well to you while diving is hard to don and doff especially in the water.

I got to demo an AL Outlaw in Utila this month. I really liked it, as it was very comfortable and dove nicely, it only had a 12 lb bladder with 8lbs of weight in it, it didn't float me too well at the surface. I would definitely buy one with the 25 lb bladder. I used the smaller AL fastex close weight-pockets not the AL release ones. After reading the threads as I have only had ScubaPro BCs I don't Iike the AL release pocket reviews. I thought I would need rear trim pouches but it seemed to dive fine on an AL80 without them. I need an accessory pocket as well and thinking on adding my dive rite pocket I added to the tropical kit on my Hydro's as well. I really like the comfort, ease of donning and doffing, and overall weight shaving of the AL Outlaw compared to my SP Hydro's with the tropical waist straps. I will keep the Hydros for cold water with the reliable SP ditchable weight pocket system.

But I am seriously considering buying the Outlaw for a tropical travel BC as I used to use SP Go but found it to be clunky, hard to change out bottles with the double tank straps and the complete floppiness of it generally. Plus I like the back inflate bladders much better for UW bouyancy. Only minor inconvenience is having to change out the bcd pressure hose off of my 1st stage between ScubaPro and Aqualung Air2 connections before traveling. Thoughts out there in SB land??

O man, I am diving the Outlaw in tropical waters and love it. I have only traveled with it once (to get it to the Philippines) and found it easy to pack with the detachable straps. I put the backplate at the bottom of my suitcase, bladder up. Then a single layer of t-shirts, then the strap sets, then the rest of my clothes. Awesome!

Regarding your inflator hose/Airsource issue, I see two real options... 1, change the hoses on your 1st stage, not too time consuming, definitely not difficult, but it is an extra step. Or 2, second reg set...redundancy a good right? :wink: Another possibility could be to change the Quick Disconnect on the Scubapro to the SeaQuest style used on the AL Airsource. I'm not positive I this works, but worth a check?

My setup:
5'10", 160 lbs
Warm Tropical waters
3mm full, 3mm booties
Outlaw BCD
Airsource3
Small knife
GoPro on tray
Small light
HP100
8 lbs weight (2+2 in each pocket)
Good bouyancy at safety stop w/ 500 psi

O man, I am diving the Outlaw in tropical waters and love it. I have only traveled with it once (to get it to the Philippines) and found it easy to pack with the detachable straps. I put the backplate at the bottom of my suitcase, bladder up. Then a single layer of t-shirts, then the strap sets, then the rest of my clothes. Awesome!

Regarding your inflator hose/Airsource issue, I see two real options... 1, change the hoses on your 1st stage, not too time consuming, definitely not difficult, but it is an extra step. Or 2, second reg set...redundancy a good right? :wink: Another possibility could be to change the Quick Disconnect on the Scubapro to the SeaQuest style used on the AL Airsource. I'm not positive I this works, but worth a check?

My setup:
5'10", 160 lbs
Warm Tropical waters
3mm full, 3mm booties
Outlaw BCD
Airsource3
Small knife
GoPro on tray
Small light
HP100
8 lbs weight (2+2 in each pocket)
Good bouyancy at safety stop w/ 500 psi

What size Outlaw are you diving? I'm 5'7" and the Medium seems too big (shoulder straps slide off on their own) while the Small seems WAY too small (chest strap at my throat), and on both the soft backplate is pretty short (cummerbund in middle of the stomach). I understand it's a 'module system' but I'm a pretty average proportioned guy. Did you end up having to 'mix and match' a lot of things to get the sizing correct? Maybe I'm so used to webbing that I expect an off the shelf BCD to fit too well.

I'm 5'10", about 180 lbs, long waisted. I ended up with a large BC, medium waist belts. I have to use the chest strap or the shoulders slip off. This combo fits me quite well. I only use it in warm water, 3mm wetsuit, little weight.

What size Outlaw are you diving? I'm 5'7" and the Medium seems too big (shoulder straps slide off on their own) while the Small seems WAY too small (chest strap at my throat), and on both the soft backplate is pretty short (cummerbund in middle of the stomach). I understand it's a 'module system' but I'm a pretty average proportioned guy. Did you end up having to 'mix and match' a lot of things to get the sizing correct? Maybe I'm so used to webbing that I expect an off the shelf BCD to fit too well.

Tantram, That's correct. Because of the modular design, there are like 27 different sizing possibilities. If too much beer is adding to the midsection, size up the waist bands! :cheers:

In my case, I have a Med backplate with Small Shoulder and Waist straps. I do have to be a little careful not to tighten the shoulders too much or else the back can rub on the back of my neck. I suggest tightening the waist first, then the shoulders.

Another note: As my diving continues to expand, I find myself carrying more gear (DSMB, reels, reef hook, and tank lights for night). I am adding the pocketed waist straps from the Rogue to my Outlaw. I don't expect it to feel any different, but better than adding a single aftermarket pocket to one side, causing imbalance and trim issues. That might be worth exploring at the time of purchase. An added benefit is that I can quickly switch waist bands to suit each dive's need (pockets or no pockets). :)

Back
Top Bottom