Aqualung Outlaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised no one responded. Assuming you are talking about the Outlaw, any AquaLung dealer in the U.S. should either stock this or be able to order one.

Reactions: mdb
The Outlaw has been popular here on Kwajalein (warm tropical water). A few have chose the Rogue's waist band on their Outlaws. The Rogue has two small expandable pockets with knife attachment grommets and an Octo holder.

I gotta be honest - this forum is so far the only proof I have that this BC actually exists. I've been trying to get my hands on one here in NJ all year. My Aqualung dealer has been trying to get them in since May. Still nothing showing up here in the Northeast USA. I was hoping to grab one before my Bonaire trip in january, but I guess I'll have to check out the SP Hyrdos instead

Your
I gotta be honest - this forum is so far the only proof I have that this BC actually exists. I've been trying to get my hands on one here in NJ all year. My Aqualung dealer has been trying to get them in since May. Still nothing showing up here in the Northeast USA. I was hoping to grab one before my Bonaire trip in january, but I guess I'll have to check out the SP Hyrdos instead
I don't think your Aqua Lung dealer is trying very hard. Sure there were some backlogs when they first came out. That has been over for quite some time. I have no issues getting them out of Vista CA within a day or two when my order is placed.

Put 4 warm water (florida) dives on my new Outlaw the last two days.
Here are my thoughts:
I was coming from an Axiom and wanted to cut down on travel weight and also wanted to give back inflate a go. I save about 4 lbs of weight in my carry on bag which is nice.
I dove with HP100s only and a 3mm full wetsuit and 2lbs of soft lead in each weight pocket. (I also purchased trim weight pockets for the tank band for when I dive al80s).
The bcd has two 10lb releasable weight pockets and the 25lb air bladder.

The outlaw is very comfortable and aerodynamic. It floats well at the surface and trims out nicely underwater. You don't have the "armrests" below your forearms like a traditional BCD so you have a lot of freedom of movement.

The downside is definitely the lack of hard attachment points. The left main d ring is blocked by the inflator and the right d ring already has the factory installed rubber octo holder. Every clip on takes two hands and you must make sure the fabric is all the way into the eye of the bolt clip. You don't get that confident clip on feeling you do after you clip onto a standard d ring and tug it. You have to visually verify it's on. I think a small caribiner on each loop would be helpful. The big factory carabiner is goofy looking but held my go pro adequately.
Carrying my other gear took some planning. The weight packs block easy access to the soft d rings on the side for an SMB so I used a loop on the belt which seemed ok. I also clipped my lobster bag to a loop on the opposite belt. I dangled a small dive knive with sheath from a caribiner on the left side too. I also had a flash light clipped to my left shoulder d ring.

The secondary loops on the shoulders are hard to see when wearing a mask so I found them unusable. However a small carabiner hanging from one looks like it would be in your field of vision.

There was no issue putting the downward facing weight packs in while the BCD was strapped to the tank as some claimed.

One last gripe was it was hard to reach the bottom dump valve behind the weights. It took too long to find it which is not great if you need to dump air quickly .

See my previous review, posts #s 57, 63, 65.

I've added some Dive Rite trim weight pockets to the tank band and a vertical pocket to the left waist band. My Trilobyte cutter attaches to the outside of the pocket. This has effectively addressed some of my initial complaints.

I still don't particularly like the weight pockets but have not had any problems with them. I am very careful that they solidly click into place when I am loading them. The rear dump is also not my favorite. The pull is not always easy to locate and is not very sensitive with the attachment loop. It is better when I pull the cord directly.

Not perfect, but pretty good, sleek, light, and very comfortable. I will not need the trim weight pockets for warm water. I don't particularly like the Rogue pockets and certainly don't need the backup reg loop. The Rogue is much more like a regular back inflate BC

Back
Top Bottom