Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if I'll be feeding or not since I'm on the evening shift. The guys on the day shift get to prep the food, feed and give presentations in full face mask. I might hav to drop in on saturdays to see if I can help feed, but after watching them feed and from what GQ said, I'm in no hurry to be bum-rushed by 100 hungry fish.

:bounce: :bounce:
I got a volunteer job cleaning the shark and seal tanks at a small aquarium in Point Pleasant NJ.
I have also been invited to go on a collection dive with them in a couple of weeks.

I get to dive with some really big sand tigers and some nurse sharks, plus three seals and in a tank full of California shark species.

I think I will be going there Thursday to get myself acquainted.

Somebody pinch me! :D

Has anyone ever helped out at the Denver Aquarium? I read their info on volunteers, and before you can even get in the tank, you have to become one of their guides as well.

Anyone ever try this?

This is really interesting - I've just gotten my packet to fill out to volunteer dive for the Florida Aquarium. I guess requirements vary. They require at least Rescue cert, and current CPR/First Aid. After they review the packet, if they would like to consider you, you have to undergo a AAUS (American Academy of Underwater Sciences) medical exam (!), take an in-pool skills test and written test. PLUS, attend several orientation / training sessions....

They don't have orientation sessions till January, though - but it'll take that long to get the rest of the requirements out of the way. I have the Rescue cert, but I have to renew my CPR/First Aid. (class is the 23rd) It appears that it's possible to get certified as a scientific diver through them.... and I think that just might be a good thing to do.

Wish me luck!

Good luck, you'll love it. We had to do the full AAUS physical too, but it wasn't bad. Vision tests, chest xray, ekg, blah, the whole thing took less than 1 hour.

I dive at the Virginia Marine Science Museum in Virginia Beach.

There are four aquariums to dive and I've been diving the Chesapeake Bay Aquarium. That's the entry level for this museum, and many stay with the CBA since the scheduling is pretty flexible. I'm one of those.

We're in AGA masks, give a SCUBA demonstration, talk to the audience, and feed the fish. I think it's a great chance to keep your bouyancy skills in shape since you're at about five feet, in a wetsuit, and about two or three pounds overweighted to give some stability for scrubbing things. It keeps one on his toes when he hovers.

It gets me in the water at least a couple of times a month no matter what the weather is up to. I was in the CBA four times last week.

jbichsel, samvic and I got together at the Ocean Journey volunteer open house last night, put some faces with names and they signed up for the program.

Best of luck guys on the upcoming process, hope to dive with you two in the exhibits someday!

Roak

I had a great time last night at OJ. Roger, you were very informative. I am sure OJ appreciates a great Journey Guide like yourself. I am looking forward to diving there somtime in the future, it may not be for a while, but I don't plan on going anywhere too soon. Hey if the new company institutes an after hours dive program where you can invite people over, don't for get to look me up! :winkbl:

Jerry,
It was nice meeting you. It's always great to meet another CO Diver. Good luck to you with the volunteer program, and if you ever need an extra dive buddy, let me know!

Anyone volunteer at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago? Can you talk about your experiences there and/or who I would talk to to volunteer there?

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom