Archaeology School Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaixon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm taking an Archaeology this semester and need to do a project on a famous archaeological site, so I figured I would do it on maybe a shipwreck or something else cool related to diving just I am not too familiar with many different sites and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I'm looking for something I would be able to find a lot of pictures of and maybe even incorporate video with it.
If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great :D
I've heard of some famous wrecks up north and I think there's one in the keys too where you can go treasure hunting, just cant remember the names, but really i'm looking for any kind of topics that I would be able to do some research on, thanks!

Perhaps in the keys you are thinking of the Atocha? Arguably the world's most famous treasure wreck? The timbers from the Atocha are soaking in a salt water lagoon behind the Florida Keys Community College, and, with a guide, you may dive and film till your heart is content. You may pay a fee to SingleDivers.com and dive the actual Atocha site. When recreational diving at the Atocha site started, SingleDivers was the exclusive booking agent. That may have changed in the past couple of years.

There is a ton of literature about the Atocha, actually the Nuestra Señora de Atocha ("Our Lady of Atocha"), so if you don't need to do any origional research yourself (I assume this is a class, not a major), all you would have to do is compile, dive, video, photograph, and write.

Good luck

thanks! yea that was the wreck I was thinking of just couldnt remember the name of it.

I'm taking an Archaeology this semester and need to do a project on a famous archaeological site, so I figured I would do it on maybe a shipwreck or something else cool related to diving just I am not too familiar with many different sites and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I'm looking for something I would be able to find a lot of pictures of and maybe even incorporate video with it.
If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great :D
I've heard of some famous wrecks up north and I think there's one in the keys too where you can go treasure hunting, just cant remember the names, but really i'm looking for any kind of topics that I would be able to do some research on, thanks!

Hi Zaixon,

You could contact the Florida State Government's Bureau of Archaeological Research ( refer Archaeology - Division of Historical Resources) to ask if they can suggest a suitable site. I have been to 2 talks over here in Australia given by staff from the Bureau - I got the impression that Florida has a very interesting collection of underwater archaeological sites (including some really nice wrecks).

Regards

diver257a

Some states have an Underwater Archaeology Field School . I took a course many years ago in S.C., & worked with them on a few projects. I didn't need to be a full-time student to take the course, either. You learn a lot in the training & have a lot of fun, too. I think the Univ. of West Florida has one.

Thanks for the imput everyone! There's some really good info on those link's i'm def gonna be doing some reading. I didnt kno a lot about some of those wrecks in florida, I think i'm gonna have to get out and plan a dive to one in the very near future. Now I got a lot of researching to do.

Back
Top Bottom