Are Apollo Bio-Fin Pro's the best fins???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abe archer

Reaction score
The Roldale's Scuba Diving magazine rate the Apollo Bio-Fin as the best. What do divers who own them say? Any problems with them?

I responded to this question on the "twinjet sucks" thread, so, I will defer to others.

I couldn't afford to buy the others abe but I like the Apollos just fine.
Cheers Ears,
The Gasman

When I was looking to buy a pair of Split Fins I had the opportunity to try the SCUBAPRO Twin Jets, Atomic Aquatics and the Apollo Bio-Fin pro's. The Twin Jets foot pocket was very uncomfortable and because they're very wide you have to swim with your legs slightly apart so they would not hit together. The aquatics are a very large fin and quite stiff. The foot pocket was more comfortable but the fins have almost as much resistance as regular paddle fins so I can see much of an advantage using them unless you need to feel the resistance on your feet. The bio-fins have an extremely comfortable foot pocket and virtually no resistance at all. The smallest flutter kick will propel you through the water at a nice leisurely pace. A steady flutter kick of about 8 to 10 inches apart will move you along at a very good pace, still with virtually no resistance. The bio fins were the first on the market and I think they had the most research done on their design to make them work the best they could, without worrying how pretty they are. If you buy the bio fins and alter your kick pattern accordingly you will not be disappointed with them.

I have to agree that the bio fins are very nice. If you have a chance, also try the Tusa Xpert Zoom fins. After trying both, they are the ones I decided to go with. They're a bit more rigid than the Apollo's, but the fin is angled for a little more efficiency. Personal preference, though.

Abe,

We have been using Appollo Bios and love them. We have had them for ca. 75 dives and have never found them wanting. I do not know what you are using now, but we had Quattros and they served us quite well, but they are now out to pasture. The difference in our opinion has been comfort: they are more comfortable on our feet and they are more comfortable u/w. We also found that we have fewer--actually none--leg cramps on that first dive of a trip; with our Quattros, cramps on the first dive were almost guaranteed even though Barbara and I exercise nearly every day (but, I confess, not by swimming).

By the way, we have used them in surge, current (weak and stong), shallow dives and deep dives, swimming dives and drift dives. And we have not been left behind, burned up excess air keeping up with Joneses, etc.

However, I will tell you that we have met folks who have tried them and did not like them. Soooo, try 'em first: most dive shops around here let you use them in their training pools. Maybe they will in your area also....

Joewr

I have a pair of the original Apollo Pros, and they definitely require less energy over my old paddles to go the same speed. Am not thinking of switching anytime soon.

I do think that the angled split fins are a marketing gimmick though. Thinking about how I kick, and the angle of my foot, I can't see how the angle of the fin makes it more efficient. Esp since, even if they are more efficient, they're only more efficient kicking "normally", but if you're on the surface kicking on your back, then what? (On the Rodales test, the angle didn't seem to have any correlation with max speed).

Plus, I can't believe that walking with them won't wear them out sooner with the added stress of forcing them to unbend with every step.

While attending a PADI seal team class with my son. I decided to play around in the pool with him. Another kid was using the atomics and just swam right past my son, being the competitor that I am had my son switch to my Apollo's. (I figure in about a week they'll fit just right on him) Well after giving the other kid a good swim he also wanted to switch. That and my son is now saving for his own because his "no longer fit well"

Another True Story!

Only different. I was being whipped by my more traditional Mares Plana AvantiX, so I "asked" my son to let me borrow his for a day at the lake.

I was amazed at the difference, I moved much easier and quicker through the water and noticed a significant drop in air usage.

Counting my pennies.

Jimbo :)

Ive tryed most of the split fins i like the atomic ones the most!I just was highest bidder on a new set on ebay :)
they are expensive 189 at local dive store.
i got these for 132.50 still pricey but what the hell.
good diving cyas rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom