Are backplates and wings not for noobs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was talking with a guy from scubatoys. I will need to buy my bc before i get ow because of my size. He recommend a zeagle ranger ltd. I asked about the bp\w bcds
HE said there a bad idea for a newbi diver. IS that true

-1 for scubatoys

Did whomever you spoke with say why?

You mention "because of your size" - what's that about? Big or small? Either way a BP/W might actually afford you more flexibility in getting a precise fit than a traditional BCD.

I'm with RJP on this one - there's no reason why a bp/w isn't good for new divers. It can take some time getting it setup correctly (I recently got mine), but is very adjustable. At this point I still have had more dives in rented jacket bc's than I've gotten in my bp/w, but I can say it's much more comfortable underwater than any jacket I've used.

The idea that bp/w's are technical or not for beginners is bogus.

I will need to buy my bc before i get ow because of my size. I asked about the bp\w bcds HE said there a bad idea for a newbi diver. IS that true

Back plates and wings can certainly be used for training a new diver, a BP&W is after all just a type of modular BC.

There are enlightened BOW instructors here in SoCal (and other places too) that routinely teach BOW students in a BP&W.

BP&W are however relatively uncommon, and that can lead to practical difficulties.

Proper initial setup of a BP&W is a bit more involved than a generic jacket. BOW instructors are already under paid and over tasked, so any "extra" work can be unwelcome.

Many instructors are not well versed in BP&W's and therefore aren't well equipped to help a BOW student with a BP&W.

There is a very common misconceptions that BP&W's are for "Tech" only, that BP&W's are "complicated", that BP&W's are unnecessary or unfit for Recreational Diving.

I'd suggest you speak with your instructor. He / she is ultimately going to have to be comfortable with what you use during training. You can of course look for an instructor who is familiar with BP&W's

Let me know if you like a recommendation on a plate, harness and wing appropriate for your needs.

Tobin

They(BP/W & a Ranger) both do the same thing....Due to your size a BP/W is probably the way to go....I would make a couple calls(1) to Tobin @ Deep Sea Supply and do some serious talking and pricing and (2) to Mike @ Dive right in Scuba as he has some good deals going right now on a couple manufacturers.....Both guys frequent this board often....

EDIT:...OOOPS, Tobin beat me here, he's the post above this one....start with him, he can help----ALOT.....good luck.....

big i am 6'4 440 HE really did not let on why maybe i just missed it. He said they where a good bc but not something for the beginner not sure if it was price set up or just more for a tech. diver
You mention "because of your size" - what's that about? Big or small? Either way a BP/W might actually afford you more flexibility in getting a precise fit than a traditional BCD.[/QUOTE]

I am always open to info that might better fit me or make things funner safer what ever. I am not a closed minded person in no way expecelly something i know very little about. I am 6'4 440 i will be doing both salt and fresh water diving down to 60 i hope to get two tanks since every tells me i will burn through more air then most due to my size.
what would you recommend
Back plates and wings can certainly be used for training a new diver, a BP&W is after all just a type of modular BC.

There are enlightened BOW instructors here in SoCal (and other places too) that routinely teach BOW students in a BP&W.

BP&W are however relatively uncommon, and that can lead to practical difficulties.

Proper initial setup of a BP&W is a bit more involved than a generic jacket. BOW instructors are already under paid and over tasked, so any "extra" work can be unwelcome.

Many instructors are not well versed in BP&W's and therefore aren't well equipped to help a BOW student with a BP&W.

There is a very common misconceptions that BP&W's are for "Tech" only, that BP&W's are "complicated", that BP&W's are unnecessary or unfit for Recreational Diving.

I'd suggest you speak with your instructor. He / she is ultimately going to have to be comfortable with what you use during training. You can of course look for an instructor who is familiar with BP&W's

Let me know if you like a recommendation on a plate, harness and wing appropriate for your needs.

Tobin

I'm one of a lot of people that wish we never would have purchased a jacket style bc and had gotten a bp/wing first. Everyone that I know that has tried one now dives one and says the same thing.

As far as I'm concerned, the bp/wing is more comfortable, helps with position in the water, less bulky, more steamlined, etc.

The only reason I can see to buy a jacket style bc is MARKETING.

Also, the couple of NEW divers that I know who have used a bp/wing did just fine and loved it. They are glad that they didn't buy the jacket.

so you took my suggestion and looked into back plates, that's great. Dont let it overwhelm you, they may sound complicated but its in fact a far more simple design to any conventional bcd.

its made of 3-4 components:

-1 metal plate (backplate) that can be aluminum or stainless
-1 harness with whatever hardware you want/need. To start with I would suggest a "hog harness".
- buoyancy compensation device or what we call a wing.
- depending on if you get one of tobin's setups or another brand you might need a single tank adapter. its just something to help stabilize your tank on your back.

Those are the primary components. You will need to add a pair of tank traps, maybe some d-rings, or maybe some other goodies but odside the tank straps and the primary components thats all there is to it.

conventional bc's have padding everywhere which translates to more lead needed to sink you and maybe a small amount more comfort while on land only. The padding on bc's drives me bonkers especially the cumberbun and shoulder pads.

Check out deep sea supply for a few good options, also check out the DIR/DUE pages for a better understanding of HOG systems, and check out the dive rite express website for another good explanation on how a bp/w works.

Remember salesmen are exactly that, if they want to sell something than they can lie through their teeth to make you fall for a buy. not saying scubatoys lies, cause they are certainly a top notch organization but be sure to get second opinions on everything and dont be afraid to ask here or read through the forums. there are alot of wise tales in the dive industry.

It doesn't matter if your 150lbs or 450lbs chances are the same plate will work for you and your trim will be better so....

I am always open to info that might better fit me or make things funner safer what ever. I am not a closed minded person in no way expecelly something i know very little about. I am 6'4 440 i will be doing both salt and fresh water diving down to 60 i hope to get two tanks since every tells me i will burn through more air then most due to my size.
what would you recommend

At 6'4" you need a longer than standard backplate.

We offer plates in 5 sizes, you need a "Long Pattern" plate. Too short a plate will put the waist strap across the lower portion of your rib cage.

The harness is essentially just 2" weight belt webbing. You probably need a longer piece than the ~12 ft we typically furnish. Webbing is inexpensive, .75 / ft. 15 ft is likely enough.

The wing you need is primarily a function of your exposure suit. Do you know what you will be using for a wetsuit?

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom