Are Cert/Currency requirements too lenient?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course anyone can, but you need to get a temporary card first. All you have to do is show that you have already dived in cold water at least once and then they give you a card that is good for 1 month.

What's their definition of cold water? At least once in their lives or at least once within a certain time period?

Of course anyone can, but you need to get a temporary card first. All you have to do is show that you have already dived in cold water at least once and then they give you a card that is good for 1 month.
Just once? And it doesn't matter how long ago? And even so, once again, fake logs...so what's the point?

What's their definition of cold water? At least once in their lives or at least once within a certain time period?

Dunno... I just checked their rules and they don't mention it, so I guess it could be anytime... As for their definition of cold water, it's a dive requiring a full suit (wet or dry) including hood and gloves... Why, you want to come see the Empress of Ireland?

Just once? And it doesn't matter how long ago? And even so, once again, fake logs...so what's the point?

Exactly... Once again, a few bucks every 3 years!

Exactly... Once again, a few bucks every 3 years!

Just to define "a few bucks", last I heard, it's C$5 for a 30-day card, and C$25 for a 3-year card.

Around here, this thing is now often referred to as the Quebec dive tax. :sad:

Well, 25$ is for the instructor 3-year card. For a simple diver, it's 15$, and for the temp card it's 5$.

plus tax of course...

Seriously though, I think it's a good idea for agencies to find a way to keep divers' skills ok, but I don't think this is a good way.

I was wandering, when you are a rescue diver, do you have to take refresher courses every once in a while? I mean, that is something you need to practice... You can't expect to be up to the task if you've done the course 10 years ago and never had to intervene!

Around here, this thing is now often referred to as the Quebec dive tax. :sad:
..and based on what it takes to get a card, that's exactly what it is.

I was wandering, when you are a rescue diver, do you have to take refresher courses every once in a while? I mean, that is something you need to practice... You can't expect to be up to the task if you've done the course 10 years ago and never had to intervene!
No. Once you have the card, it's good for life - no expiration. They do recommend you participate in "rescue workshops" or scenarios though.

Well its like driving a car. A person who got a drivers license in 1950 and renewed it every year but did not drive since can produce a valid drivers license and rent a car! obviously we know cars have evolved a whole lot

Also if a person got a license in 50 then he would be at the minimum (If 16 when he got his license) would be in his 70s so you get in to the old debate of how old is too old to drive?

What it all boils down too is the diver and the diver alone by faking his experience to get to dive and rents gear he has never used telling the people he has experience. He and he alone is the one who will have to suffer the consequences.

He and he alone is the one who will have to suffer the consequences.
Not necessarily. He could take a dive buddy down with him. He could put emergency personnel or other divers in danger with his stupid actions. He could even take down a dive operator who gets sued, even though he had nothing to do with it, and that's just how our stupid legal system works. While a dumbass diver may pay for his actions with his life, he isn't necessarily the only one that has to pay for his dumbassness.

This is true but will it actually save liability? Look at the woman who went to mcdonalds bought coffee and spilled it on herself (Knowing no one buys cold coffee from Mcdonalds) and got paid for being stupid.

There are alot of options one can take but realisticly I do not know that the shop could be sued with great chances of success for renting to someone who has a card and says "I went diving just last week look at my log" and place a false dive in it.

I do agree that I wish more could be done but to develop any other system could very well cause a strain from the 10s of thousands of potential divers running in to a shop every year to recertify when in all actuality they would have more experience sometimes then the certifying instructor. It would also resort to supply and demand for space and cause the price of a requalifier to sky rocket outside of an occasional divers budget.

So many variables to go in to it. Is it worth paying 500 dollars a year to recert? It is always a possibility it would resort to that. In the keys now I see shops charging $250.00+ for a scuba tune up.

Instead of asking this why don't you say that if you are willing to go through a boot camp and a "tough" school that 3/4 people fail out of you shouldn't get a card (because everyone knows if you fail more than 1/2 it is great training).

It seems when people ask this question they complaining about how it is now compared to "back in the day".

Just my opinion but, those that want tougher more challenging training will seek it and find it. Those that want to dive to 100' and look at a wreck or reef they will be fine with OW/AOW and maybe nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom