Are dive computers making bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an old timer, certified in 1970, Navy tables, by the LACUU…
<snip>
… I have no problem with modern technology, I've been diving computers since 1999.

Let's not forget that many of the well-known divers of the 1960s through the 1980s also used decompression computers. Granted they were analog but did credit for multi-level dives.

Attachments

• Bend-o-Matic Catalog Sheet.jpg
    Bend-o-Matic Catalog Sheet.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 222
Let&#8217;s not forget that many of the well-known divers of the 1960s through the 1980s also used decompression computers. Granted they were analog but did credit for multi-level dives.
Wasn't it that one they called the bend-o-matic?

Wasn't it that one they called the bend-o-matic?

Yep, but it worked surprisingly well. We all carefully monitored it compared to different tables for a sanity check though. If I recall correctly it tracked the French Navy tables closer than the US Navy tables, but close enough. The moniker was really not deserved. If it had, Scubapro (the importer in the US) would have been sued out of business.

I like to relate everything to flying, because that is my other hobby. The discussion of "old school" and new technology comes up in flying as well, the new pilots are to reliant on technology and the old guys won't pay attention to it the argument goes. In my personal opinion, if my radio goes dead, and my electronics go down, I better know how to pull out a nav chart, a wiz wheel, and a compass and be able to use them to get me home safe. In turn if I'm flying at night, or get into a cloud I need to trust my instruments to tell me how to fix it. Basically, knowing both systems, and being able to use them in unison, can make things safer.

What concerns me is not divers who have learned to use computers rather than tables. I think diving by computer is fine, provided the user knows how to operate it and understands roughly what it is doing. With experience, I think using tables or a computer also gives a diver a sense of roughly what is a safe time at a given depth, so on a given dive, they have a sense of whether the computer and their reading of it is "making sense."

What concerns me are divers who have not learned tables and DON'T own a computer or know how to use one. I've seen this a lot at resorts, especially with BOW divers, but also some AOW divers. (Yeah...I know). They seem to be just crossing their fingers and rolling the dice. Or counting on always having a DM to tell them when to ascend and at what rate.

One thing I'd add for new divers planning to dive via computer, is that there's a lot of value in "biting the bullet" and acquiring your own unit relatively early. It's helpful to have one you can become very familiar with up front, rather than having to learn the local shop's computer du jour every time you take a trip. The familiarity can make for a significantly less stressful (and potentially safer) dive, IMO.

RTFM, the whole manual, before you dive it. I never plan on exceeding NDL, but had a DM put me into light deco on the Spiegel first time ever diving with a new computer. Fortunately I had read the manual the night before (I had bought it the day before) and knew what it was telling me to do, did my extra stop and cleared it before getting on the boat.

Reliance on only or mainly dive computers and / or DMs can lead to divers not being as self-reliant as we all should strive to be.

As well, they can help newer divers get accustomed to diving without having to learn everything at once.

Keep learning!

- Bill

yes was taught to use tables and can actually do it but the computer is much more convenient.

This topic will never end and most that argue it speak from limited view points. My take on this is the same as cell phones. very cool, can do a lot,,, but when you start using them you cease planning ahead because everyone is just a call away. Go to the store and pass the peanut butter shelf. get on the phone and ask if you are out. Problem is that the world falls to s**t when there is no one their to answer the phone call. The big advantages of a puter for me is that it has a minute by minute log of what I was doing, in the event of a medical problem. it is dynamic as opposed to static like tables. It combines multiple of devices into one. If you trust it not to fail then ok its your dive. If it does fail what do you fall back on. How do you tell time. how do you tell depth. This is the problem with computers making bad divers. It has the diver turn their senses and dive over to a computer. If you maintain your ability to identify your surroundings then the computer is just a tool. My tool works for me and not the reverse. I have no clue what courses teach divers to do when there is a computer failure. I can only assume the generic protocol will be like any other personal casualty. get to the surface and end the day. From personal observations. I have asked divers how long of a dive they can do in 30 ft of water. They have no idea. One can only conclude that they don't know how long at 100 ft either. Why worry the computer tells you when to head up. Is it the putters fault of the idiot that is claiming to use it????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom