Are dive computers overkill for most recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he does. From what I understand, he is saying that a computer is not 'safer' because it provides decompression information which enables muppets to exceed NDLs.

However, for non-technical trained divers, there is no decompression, only emergency decompression.

The fact that some retards might choose to deliberately exceed their no-stop limits, is hardly the detriment of the computer. People with that level of idiocy would probably be doing it anyway....at least the computer brings them up at a safe speed.

The arguement about the massive benefits of using a computer should have the provison that they are used in accordance with your training, qualification and in-line with the manufacturers instructions.

Actually, having a computer will help the police or coroner establish a reason for the cause of death or maybe even help the chamber doctor! The computer never serves a negative purpose. If you choose to ignore the warnings without understanding the underlying principles, it's at your own risk. That's my point. If a diver chooses to wear one without understanding what they are doing, they should never have received their OW cert anyway. This aint rocket science.

Actually, having a computer will help the police or coroner establish a reason for the cause of death or maybe even help the chamber doctor!

Very true. I mentioned this already. Having an accurate profile available for a bent diver is extremely valuable when diagnosing and treating DCI.

I know for Suunto computers that have PC download, you can even automatically package and email the profile.... is great if you ever need to contact DAN with a concern.

The simple answer is NO. Dive computers are not overkill for rec divers. Some computers may be too complicated or have more features than most divers will ever utilize. But the advantages of a computer are noticeable on any dive, even more noticeable on repetitive dives.

Dive computers can be overpriced and some rec divers that don't dive often may not see the need to spend the cash. If diving tables does not affect your bottom time and you don't have funds available for this major purchase, I would just check to see if your dive shop or charter can rent you a computer.

I can't imagine that a dive computer wouldn't be valuable to most all divers, to think otherwise appears to be archaic.

Good diving, Craig

Scubadada, I believe the point of the thread is that there are a lot of divers who never plan or execute their own dive, but follow a guide through a predetermined course (which the guide knows is acceptable under table or computer guidelines). The computer such divers wear is just an expensive corroboration of the guide's dive plan.

For those of us who plan and execute independent dives, computers can range between useful and indispensable, depending on the education and training of the diver.

Scubadada, I believe the point of the thread is that there are a lot of divers who never plan or execute their own dive, but follow a guide through a predetermined course (which the guide knows is acceptable under table or computer guidelines). The computer such divers wear is just an expensive corroboration of the guide's dive plan.

For those of us who plan and execute independent dives, computers can range between useful and indispensable, depending on the education and training of the diver.

Sorry, I stand by by intitial statement. We are all responsible for our own dive profiles whether dependent or independent. For the very casual diver, dependent on the guided dive and the divemaster, perhaps this is less important. If one wants to be limited to table values, I guess that is acceptable. For nearly all others, computers are requisite. I don't think there is any very good reason to dummy down diving information or responsibility.

Good diving, Craig

"Originally Posted by TSandM :

For those of us who plan and execute independent dives, computers can range between useful and indispensable, depending on the education and training of the diver."

Yes, this is a good summary of my question in mind when I posted this thread.

There is s first for everything I guess and this is the first time I haven't been in total agreement with TSandM.

There are too many DM's and dive guides who should not be trusted. just one quick example http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/296775-out-air-emergency-105-feet.html

I will not trust anyone to make assumptions and control my gas plan/ dive plan. You can most certainly work these things out without a computer but I choose not to.

I agree. At the very least, a computer allows a 'sheep diver' to self-monitor when they are following their divemaster.

I too, have seen some extremely irresponsible divemasters in my time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom