Are dive computers overkill for most recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'all might try rereading the OP and answer the question as it is posed:

Pretty much all resort recreational dives are worked out for no decompression. Why do divers wear computers for such dives? I'm not for or against it. Just never used one, so what is the benefit for no deco diving?

We understand that you're above that, but the question was "for most recreational divers?" I think that Lynne is spot on: "an expensive corroboration of the guide's dive plan."

BTW -- I wasn't trying to recommend that divers not carry computers. I really was, as Thal observes, answering the original question. I've done a ton of resort dives, and I can't ever remember having to override the guide because of decompression considerations. I do monitor my own depth, time and deco status, but the resort dives I've done have all been well within my parameters.

Yes I understand the OP's question and answered it earlier and I believe my last post is still on topic.

My life is worth the "expensive corroboration of the guide's dive plan". I have seen so many cases here of people saying "trust me dives" are dangerous. Following "a guide's dive plan" is a trust me dive. Making sure your dive profile matches or is shallower than the guide can be a pain as well.

Someone posted recently about a "dive guide being embarrassed when he forgot to take into account previous dives conducted by the guests without him . The sheep followed him into deco till those diving computers pointed out the problem to him!"

Those mistakes are too easy to make. IMHO The fewer dives a person does and the longer the gaps between the more likely mistakes will occur (remembering how to use table or even to use them). Computers are a valuable tool to reduce the chances of those errors. There are some pretty inexpensive computers out there and they are available to rent.

I do not think computers are overkill anymore than an occy is!

That's the heart of it.

Following a divemaster, encourages Trust Me Divers.

Planning and conducting your own dives, under DM supervision and guidance encourages Independant Divers.

As we all (should) know... it is not the Divemaster responsibility to plan dives on behalf of other divers. They have their own plan, based on the route to be followed on a particular site and providing a safe dive profile...and you may opt to follow along with that route...but you should always have your own plan.

Monitoring and controlling your own dive plan, through the use of a computer is more accurate and flexible (in the event of unplanned circumstances) than reliance on simple timer and depth gauge.

Therefore, a computer is a valuable upgrade for the independant diver.

That's the heart of it.

Following a divemaster, encourages Trust Me Divers.

Planning and conducting your own dives, under DM supervision and guidance encourages Independant Divers.

As we all (should) know... it is not the Divemaster responsibility to plan dives on behalf of other divers. They have their own plan, based on the route to be followed on a particular site and providing a safe dive profile...and you may opt to follow along with that route...but you should always have your own plan.

<snip>

True, but not always accurate. :wink:

I found while diving in the Philippines with various (+6) dive ops, the DM ALWAYS led the dives... there did not appear to be any other option. (Unless it was a house reef dive and the DM felt confident that both buddies were familar enough with the site.) If a photographer, for example, lagged behind, the DM would ask the group to stop while he went back to fetch him/her.

That is typical in most holiday locations. It is normal for a DM to want to keep a group together, for the purposes of supervision and navigation. However, you can dive in a group on an agreed route and still maintain responsibility for your own dive plan.

The DM should brief the dive.. with max duration and max depth...and then you should plan your dive to fit with that general outline plan.

Pretty much all resort recreational dives are worked out for no decompression. Why do divers wear computers for such dives? I'm not for or against it. Just never used one, so what is the benefit for no deco diving?

It seems to me that part of the problem is defining MOST RECREATIONAL DIVERS. Most of the divers I know would consider themselves Recreational Divers. Most go to Resorts to dive on holidays but dive regularly elsewhere as well.

I know very few who do not dive with computers.

I am a recreational diver. Less than 10% of my dives are "resort dives" lead by a "DM" but even on those I work out my own NDL and dive plan. If the guy leading the dive in the afternoon is not the same as the guy in the morning he cant know my current tissue loading. I know I could do all this with tables (and until Rescue Diver I did) but a computer is easier. (interestingly most of my techie dives are planned from tables / laptop program although I do wear a VR3).
So are computers essential for recreational diving? No Are they overkill? Definitely not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom