Are dive computers required equipment now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some DiveOps are making them required for dives like the Grove, other deep wrecks.

And if you don't have one who do you buy/rent from. It sounds like they are trying to make a dollar to me. Besides the Grove isn't considered a deep wreck by wreck diving standards.

Like anything else where the is $$ there will be those who seek to sell. Understand what the tool will do for you and buy it when you need it.

I dive with a computer and have a backup on every dive. If it breaks I will still get to the surface safely.

I like using a analog depth gauge for accents. It is way easier for me to watch the hand sweep and count onethousandone, onethousandtwo...

Thanks for eveyone's input. It helps explain to me some of the changes in the dive industry over the last few years. I plan to still dive on tables but will most likely buy a computer in the near future. Safety is of course the number one factor in diving and if computers have proven themselves to be better then following tables then why not go this route. It is a matter of trusting the equipment that you dive with and knowing it's limits and yours.

Blackwood:
Short answer: of course not.

Sales are good for the industry, though, so the industry pushes them.

I wouldn't answer so short. In some destinations you will not dive without computer, for example Maldives. I saw the liveaboard safari offer where they stated that every diver must have a computer (or rent it 10€/day) otherwise will not dive.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom