Are resort DM's really that reckless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that's my backup plan (and thanks for the suggestion by the way). I will probably end up at the pool if I can't manage to get into real water before I go. I'm hoping to get the wifey SOME kind of BC before we go (prefer to spend $100 or less, willing to spend $200 or less for a good enough BC), and if so, we will definitely be going to the pool. I'd like her to practice some skills before we go anyway (she's a relatively new diver) AND I always like to give my dive gear a "run through" before packing it up on an expensive trip anyway - so a trip the pool before we go is almost certainly in my future :)

Cheers!
nd

I really like the Buddy SMBs from A.P.Valves I have one and I have friends whose regularly-used 10 year old ones are still going strong (albeit a little faded). I use a halcyon cold water reel and a double dog clip - although I don't dive cold water, I like it as the hole through the middle is larger (to accomodate dry suit gloves), which I find makes it easier to handle

Halcyon have a nice low volume model, if you're concerned about "limp sausge" syndrome - fills with one breath (oral inflate only I think)

Like most, I had trouble deploying effectively at first, and would second the need to practice at low depth when deployment isn't essential

Incident-wise, the biggest problem seems to be people getting tangled with the line/deploying with the reel attached to their BCD, so be aware of that

My #1 deployment tip would be to make yourself slightly negative before deploying (by letting some air out of your BCD), that way you won't get pulled up while faffing around trying to get that second breath into the semi-inflated SMB

edit: thread hijack complete! :)

Last edited:
Can you practice in a pool? Maybe it is just me, but I really sucked at sending up an SMB when I first tried. I got very tangled :blush: The next few attempts resulted in the dreaded 'limp sausage'. (My buddy on the other hand has never had an issue sending up an SMB). I practiced in about 3m of water under a pier and whilst it only took a few attempts before I was fine with it, the first time I had to do it for real in the ocean it was midwater in a current and if I hadn't had the practice beforehand it would have been a bit of a CF.

So I wouldn't think it is something to try out for the first time on a trip you bought it for. My 2c.

This is now a full on thread hijack to discuss SS and SMB's. I leave it to the Mod's to do something if they so desire.

I would say yes you can practice in a pool. It is just maintaining your place in the water column while holding onto what is essentially an underwater balloon as it gets more buoyant and then not getting caught in the line as the SMB surfaces. I am not trying to downplay the difficulties that are had by many in performing this. It really is not easy for most at first.

The SMB I purchased has an open bottom (with weighted flaps to close it and also to try to hold it upright and prevent the limp SMB :blush: - I am not describing this well) so it is easy to use your primary or octo to purge inflate it. It also has a pressure relief valve which in my head says it will purge excess air as the SMB floats to the surface and the air expands. I think this means you can over inflate it as long you do not float up with it, you do not get caught in the line and your reel will handle the rapid ascent.

I have only tried my SS under water (you know that did not work as planned because I bought the SMB). The SS is a sealed unit so over inflating it is an issue meaning "get it right the first time underwater" otherwise you en up with one of two things....a burst SS or a limp one. My new SMB unfortunately came after my local diving season happened which meant no testing. I plan to either test it in a pool or in the shallows at a local site in the new year.

Last edited:
It also has a pressure relief valve which in my head says it will purge excess air as the SMB floats to the surface and the air expands. I think this means you can over inflate it...

True

IMHO you'd need a deeper pool than the ones I've swum in for effective practice though - maybe 5m+? - which isn't common

If I am not mistaken that is 15% of the 38 rapid ascent issues causing DCI and not 15% of the total 359 incidents for the year. Still, it is 6 (5.7) incidents that likely could have been avoided with more practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom