Question Are short snorkeling fins worth getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife is a non diver, so we snorkel on our "by the water" vacations. She uses an inexspensive pair of full foot fins, while I use my dive fins. Per the title, is it worth getting the short snorkel fins? What are the advantages of that type of fin while snorkeling?

Thanks,
Erik

I would not buy fins that I could only use for snorkeling. After watching snorkelers splash around with their short fins, I can't think of a good reason why I would ever leave my dive fins at home even if snorkeling was the only option on the trip.

My wife is a non diver, so we snorkel on our "by the water" vacations. She uses an inexspensive pair of full foot fins, while I use my dive fins. Per the title, is it worth getting the short snorkel fins? What are the advantages of that type of fin while snorkeling?

Thanks,
Erik
Easier to pack.

Thanks,
Erik
Only advantage is packing and carrying to the water. Regular length full foots are far more powerful. Stick with what you have unless you just can't make them fit in your luggage.

Easier to pack and you won‘t need boots with them. They may not move you through the water as well but they do well enough for “touristy” snorkeling.

I bought these a couple vacations ago. Good enough for what I needed them for.

So, in summary, stick with what we have. Which is pretty much what I figured.
Thanks for taking the time.
Erik

It all depends WHERE you are snorkeling. I did it mostly at Maldives, where the current at surface can be truly strong. Like a river...
There I would only rely on long freediving fins. Even better long finned swimming fins.
They differ from free-diving fins for the angle between the sole and the blade, this is "pointing backward-down" for freediving fins, and pointing "forward-up" for finned swimming fins. The latter avoid to push air above the surface instead of water below the surface...
Of course, both free diving fins and finned swimming fins require some proper technique for kicking efficiently and without effort.
In any case I do not recommend those short fins both for you and your wife.
Snorkeling can be dangerous, perhaps more dangerous than scuba diving, depending on the environment and the assistance you can get in case of problems. Often snorkelers swim very far away and are simply lost in the sea...
Hence a pair of proper fins is a good safety asset for snorkelers.

If she snorkels a lot when on these vacations, then get her a nice pair of snorkeling fins like Mares Avanti's or something like that. more power and comfort will increase her enjoyment of snorkeling and her confidence.

Same with a good mask and snorkel.

The Scubapro Go Travel fins are less than 21” in total length and well reviewed. Unless you already pack a longish duffel bag for travel it may be worth a look.

download.jpg

They would be in this instance

Back
Top Bottom