• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Are Suunto Zoops super conservative?

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by Alex Locke, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Umuntu

Umuntu Divemaster

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Vyper Novo with AI as the primary. A Zoop tied to harness as a backup.

I gave my sons Zoops when they certified as young teenagers. There is a level of trust with the conservatism that means you can trust it with your kids.

2. Umuntu

Umuntu Divemaster

If one particular algorithm was, at the margins which produce incidents, involved in a significant proportion of incidents ... that would be useful information to have.

3. BRT

BRT not a soft touch ScubaBoard Supporter

And based on the same data I will continue using them.

4. Steve_C

Steve_C Great White Rest in Peace

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Conservatism of and by itself does not necessarily mean safer. Driving 45 instead of 60 on the freeway may be more conservative but unless there are other factors such as weather it is not any safer.

5. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Regular of the Pub

:rofl3: You really don't have a slightest clue how math actually works do you? Numbers: there's like a lot of them and stuff...

6. loady

loady Angel Fish

I love all the comradeship here. Almost as friendly as YouTube and Facebook political comments! :rant:
    You guys would be great fun on a dive boat!! ;-)

WinfieldNC likes this.
  7. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Another attempt to look at the spectrum of decompression algorithms. I took the departure NDLs from each of the depths included in the 4 simulated dives included in the 2017 ScubaLab test I referenced in post #151, 11 New Dive Computers Tested By ScubaLab In 2017. Too bad Suunto did not have a computer tested, but, Mares and Cressi did. Buhl 16 ADT is the Scubapro deco algorithm.

upload_2017-12-18_14-55-36.png

upload_2017-12-18_14-56-5.png

upload_2017-12-18_14-56-57.png

upload_2017-12-18_14-57-20.png

Attached Files:

8. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Please tell me what you think "arrival" and "departure" NDLs means in their data set.
    Should I interpret your presentation of their results to mean that (for example, Dive 1, 100 ft) the NDLs are 7-13 minutes, depending on the computer? Why in the linked article do they say "Meant to simulate a day of scuba diving, the profiles were: 100 feet/55 minutes; a one-hour surface interval; 70 feet/45 minutes; a two-hour surface interval; 80 feet/45 minutes; a one-hour surface interval; and 60 feet/40 minutes." I read that as the first dive was 55 minutes to 100 ft. ?? But the NDLs were 7-13 minutes? Help.

9. Umuntu

Umuntu Divemaster

deleted

:troll: added to Ignore list

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Regular of the Pub

I am beginning to believe computer-generated NDLs are a cargo cult. They're soooo adorable with their coloured powerpoints with all those dots and lines and digits on the sides...