Are the lobster still around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they sure are! 18 caught freediving this morning within just 0ne hour on patch reefs(shallow 6-10FT) just inside north dry rocks 3.5 miles offshore key largo. zero commercial traps and bugs everywhere. viz was terrific!!!

reefman
key largo

Wow! Amazing catch. Does this seem like a really good bug season or is that normal for you this time of year?

Wow! Amazing catch. Does this seem like a really good bug season or is that normal for you this time of year?

it's been a productive winter season, however, 18 lobsters in one hour is not the norm. I went out this past Saturday scouting by myself and snagged 6 in less than 30 minutes in the same area(all were huge!). yes, it's been a better than average season in size and #s. the vast majority of upper keys commercial lobsterman have pulled their trap's for the season. less pressure on lobsters and most locals refuse to snorkel or dive until water temps reach 80F. I'm usually the only boat around with a dive flag on the inshore patch reefs, most others are fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
Those are some amazing numbers reefman! I will be in Key Largo next weekend. Do you recommend any local diving operations in Key Largo that could put me close to some lobsters?

Those are some amazing numbers reefman! I will be in Key Largo next weekend. Do you recommend any local diving operations in Key Largo that could put me close to some lobsters?

the majority of the upper keys dive operators don't offer hunting trips. one that does and mentioned often on this forum is conch republic divers on Tavernier creek. maybe someone else will chime in with other operators that have lobster/spearfishing trips,

reefman
key largo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom