Are there any solo divers out there? :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33pdiv3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looks like I'll be the only solo diver in Cozumel this holiday! What's new? :wink:

Anyway, I'll be staying at the Sabor for a week (31st - 7th) and I figured I'd throw a line out and see if anyone responds. I'm fairly independent, but diving with a buddy is always fun! :)

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated (e.g., dive shops, dive sites, things to avoid, etc.). This is my first time diving in Mexico, and my first time in Cozumel, so I'm pretty excited.

Happy Holidays, everyone! :)

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated (e.g., dive shops, dive sites, things to avoid, etc.). This is my first time diving in Mexico, and my first time in Cozumel, so I'm pretty excited.
Well, there's the usual...

Take a pen on the plane to fill out paperwork they disperse before landing. Keep the stub you get back from Immigration safely with your passport. You are supposed to carry both if you go into town or on the ferry, but at least don't lose them. I keep a copy of my passport page with a spare PP-pic with my paperwork separately just in case.

Avoid the lying timeshare hawks that try to cut you off as you leave Customs. Just get a van ticket to your hotel, make a headcall, buy a beer and get on the van.

Got DAN dive insurance - not the cheapest, a safety sausage and other signaling devices?

Lots of good Ops to chose from. Just read over threads for a couple of pages and email some. Whoever you dive with can help you with buddies or you can buddy with the DM. Got all of your own gear? There's a lot to be said for the convenience of diving with the hotel's Op, especially if you need to rent gear.

As new as you are it would be money well spent to hire a private DM the first day. All of the sites are good as DMs depend on tips so they make sure you are happy. Maybe $5/tank and up, some tip much more, and the DM shares with the captain.

Take lots of $1s, $5s, $10s and I get $2 bills from my bank and tip the folks who are nice about making your stay fun: maid, waiters, porters, etc. No torn or marked bills.

Taking a laptop? Skype is the best way to call home. If you subscribe to the $3/month plan to call US and Canada from the US, then you can call home for free - and cancel when you get back if you want to. Take a headset. I forgot once but the headset from the plane worked.

Get out and see the island. Maybe make friends and hire a taxi to drive around the south end one afternoon, making stops, dinner in town. Renting a car comes with cautions; renting a scooter is dangerous.

Take a digital luggage scale for packing and get back to the airport early. Winter travel is always an adventure.

Have a good trip. :pilot:

Last edited:
I would find a dive op soon. This may be a time when your first choice is booked. My preference is aldora (aldora.com) but there are beaucoup. Perhaps knowing if you have any preferences in a dive op would help.

I take two black pens in case one decides to quit working.

Hi Heather, see my invite in the january thread. The Sabor is far from town, so feel free to contact me if you want to drive around and see the Island. If Aldora is booked, I could ask if you could be added to my reservation if you are interested. Disregard what the cheapskates said about the price, dollars per minute of bottomtime and added safety are worth it. Happy travlin' David

:confined: Get out of the jar!

be on the square sunday eve

Looks like I'll be the only solo diver in Cozumel this holiday! What's new? :wink:

Anyway, I'll be staying at the Sabor for a week (31st - 7th) and I figured I'd throw a line out and see if anyone responds. I'm fairly independent, but diving with a buddy is always fun! :)

Happy Holidays, everyone! :)

dive palancar is located at the sabor, i dove with them in nov, i had no problems..sand dollar sports is located on the far north end o the resort i have dove with them a couple times in the past, again , no problems.. you will love it..

If all else fails just pair up with the DM. I am a solo diver the majority of the time....you usually get the best bottom times if you are good with air that way as the DMs are always last out. :)

Back
Top Bottom