Are these symptoms of Stage 2 Scubaitis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RMVSAC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here is how things have gone downhill, so fast:
  • Newly certified. Got a few c-cards already. (I know, I know)
  • Countless hours spent on SB reading your wonderful recitals
  • Bought a complete set of gear (including a 7' hose because it is "Tech" j/k)
  • Dove 35 times in last 6 weeks
  • Already on first name basis with at least a dozen Zebra Muscles @ the local quarry
  • Love supporting LDS & have not thought even once of getting my gear serviced at Jiffy Lube
  • Made a couple of trips already to FL to dive on the east coast.
  • Seriously contemplating a weekend trip to Cozumel to introduce myself to Eagle Rays.

I knew Nitrogen can be addictive, but never thought it could be this bad.

Should I look for a cure or just focus on coping strategies?
Forgot to say this: My name is Shri & I may have late stage Scubaitis. :diver:
RMVSAC

Just keep doing what you are doing. Hours spent in the water will serve you far better then a stack of C-cards. Do not buy too much into all the hype about needing more equipment, keep it simple and you will get far more enjoyment out of the sport. If you have a good LDS stick with them but at some point down the road you may want to look at doing your own service.

Rich: Thank you for thoughtful suggestions. Much appreciated.

I hear you --I've bought only what's is needed. I am not collecting c-cards either --I had differed my AOW by at least 20+ dives after getting my OW c-card. I can't claim credit for those two incredibly smart decisions --I owe it to the insights you all have shared here on SB.

Here is what I am currently working on:
* Improving trim, streamlining, weight distribution and buoyancy,
* Practicing skills not covered so far (deploying DSMB/lift-bag safely, buddy breathing, etc.)
* Keeping track of and lowering SAC,
* Practicing equip failures in controlled environment --e.g. total (simulated) loss of lift (due to BCD or 1st stage failure) or a run-away inflator, etc., swimming up (controlled ascent) with full rig from 60', etc.
* Looking into various GUE skills (Frog kicks, backing up and helicopter turns, S-drill etc.)

I know have a long way to go, but loving every minute of bubble making.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

I would say this case has progressed far beyond any successful cure.

You can control the symptoms by frequent doses of dissolved nitrogen and high ppO2s.

The prognosis is terminal, but the disease progresses slowly after the initial onset.

Join the rest of us lepers . . . :)

As TSandM stated your condition is terminal.

You can reduce your Nitrogen levels by taking a Nitrox course though, works wonders for longer dives at certain depths

I would say this case has progressed far beyond any successful cure.

You can control the symptoms by frequent doses of dissolved nitrogen and high ppO2s.

The prognosis is terminal, but the disease progresses slowly after the initial onset.

Join the rest of us lepers . . . :)

That is so reassuring, TSandM. I am glad to hear I am in great company. :)
Thanks!

---------- Post added November 30th, 2012 at 07:57 AM ----------

As TSandM stated your condition is terminal.

You can reduce your Nitrogen levels by taking a Nitrox course though, works wonders for longer dives at certain depths

Thank you, for your input, Searcaigh.

For now I am playing it safe by not diving deep and being conservative about my bottomtimes. Not diving even close to RDL pressure groups. For now, I am working on refining and developing muscle memory for all those skills. So, I am content diving at shallower depths until I've gained a pretty good handle on those skills. It has already helped me increase my bottom time quite a bit --feels like I've come a long way already from being a gas-guzzler (Hoover) to having a SAC rate that is more like portable hand-vac.

At some point, I do want to get certified for Nitrox. Not too impressed with what PADI seems to offer in their Nitrox class. I get the Physics behind it, so I am not sure if the class PADI offers would do me much good beyond getting a c-card. I am wondering if there is a more advanced/comprehensive Nitrox class offered by other agencies. Looking into it...

It's great to hear from an enthusiastic and active diver. There is a cure, but it's worse than the disease. The only cure is to burn your gear, quit diving, and stop reading scubaboard. DON'T DO IT! The disease is not fatal, the cure is. I could not live without diving, and I'm sure RMVSAC, and most of us on scubaboard, could not live without diving either. So you hooked. Feed your scubaitis with as much diving as you can to keep withdrawal symptoms under control. this addiction. Its the right thing to do.
DivemasterDennis

Well it's not a cure but you could try my method. It involves living somewhere where the nearest divable water body is a couple of hours away and requires a dry suit, ice training, and a mobile sauna for apres dive five months of the year.

The cravings are still there, you'll still spend too much time on SB, but, to the casual observer, it'll look like you're cured. Just don't start logging the weekly pool dives you do to keep your buoyancy skills up.

m.

The bottom line is that there really isn't that much you need to know about diving Nitrox, and it's really book-learning unless you have trouble getting an O2 analyzer to work. A Nitrox class CAN include a lot more (my husband, for example, teaches gas management in Nitrox, on the not unreasonable assumption that the longer bottom times make planning an adequate gas supply a bit more important), and some instructors will still require dives, just as an opportunity to get in the water with the students and help evaluate and polish their skills. I did think the NAUI written materials were better than the PADI ones, simply because they weren't written for third-graders, but the content was the same, because it's basically a pretty simple class.

... Feed your scubaitis with as much diving as you can to keep withdrawal symptoms under control. this addiction. Its the right thing to do...
DivemasterDennis

I am on it --already packed and ready to spend this weekend in Coz.

Thank you, DivemasterDennis, for pointing out that the cure is worse than this wonderful condition. I know I'm hooked.

Had it not been for a great Instructor and the mountain of real-world insights all of you serial bubble makers have posted here on SB, I might have been spared this chronic condition. So here's tipping my hat. :)

T minus 20 hrs and counting, my first trip to Coz. :)

---------- Post added November 30th, 2012 at 09:43 AM ----------

...Just don't start logging the weekly pool dives you do to keep your buoyancy skills up.
m.

Wait a minute, have you been reading my logbook already? Be right back --gotta go warp my logbook in a tin foil hat first and then tuck it inside a 7mm neoprene hoodie. ;-)

I hear you. Thanks for reassuring me it gets better...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom