Are viton o-rings really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there even REALLY a difference between viton o-rings and the generic, your gear will blow up if them come in contact with 02 o-rings? Or is that just yet another way for them to overcharge you for something that's not really necessary?

Looking at them side by side I can't even see a difference. If I was to dump all my BAD o-rings in the pack with the vitons, they'd get mixed up, and I'd have no idea which ones I was using. S**t is there even such a thing as vitons or did they just make up a word and put in on the package. How do do I even know that pack of vitons are even vitons other than just the magic word on the box...considering they look the same as the other ones?

For many applications, viton o-rings are superior to a lot of other o-rings for a number of reasons. But in my opinion, they are overkill for scuba.

Short...direct...and to the point. Love it! Thanks.

Next question. What the hell should I do with all these old evil o-rings.
Maybe I could make a necklace?

Viton o-rings have a better resistance to O2 degradation during use and are less susceptible to combustion than normal o-rings, hence their recommendation in o2 applications such as partial pressure blending of nitrox. I know they can cost in excess of $0.60 per o-ring, so cost must be factored in to the overall "safety" equation.

As for the "old" ones: they, too, can cost nearly $0.30 a piece. Throw them out. Burn them.

VI

True dat that the viton o-rings have way better resistance to O2 degradation than Buna. Not too sure about it's combustibility. But, if you don't mind changing your neck o-rings about 4 times per year, go ahead and use up the Buna. Viton used to be brown, and now are charcoal colored. You can see the difference if you look at the two side by side. If you're concerned about face o-rings, either will work fine, but I like the urethane 90 durometers. They are about 3 bucks each.

Is there even REALLY a difference between viton o-rings and the generic, your gear will blow up if them come in contact with 02 o-rings? Or is that just yet another way for them to overcharge you for something that's not really necessary?

Looking at them side by side I can't even see a difference. If I was to dump all my BAD o-rings in the pack with the vitons, they'd get mixed up, and I'd have no idea which ones I was using. S**t is there even such a thing as vitons or did they just make up a word and put in on the package. How do do I even know that pack of vitons are even vitons other than just the magic word on the box...considering they look the same as the other ones?

Well, it depends on where it is, have had standard Nitrile (Buna) o-rings turn into a sort of paste over time from 02 exposure.

But, generally Yoke O-rings usually die due to wear.

I only use Viton.. but there are several different types of Viton and lots of different hardness... so just being Viton does not mean that much.

Another religious discussion. My instructors (PSI and NAUI) who dealt with this daily both indicated that BUNA was OK under normal use as long as you replaced them annually. Personally I only use BUNA on my air tanks. On my nitrox tanks and I use EPDM for all static O-rings (tank/valve-face) and Viton for the internal one on the valve stem. Viton holds up better in dynamic applications but if it ever does smoke it emits phosgene (sp?) gas. Not a good thing to be breathing. EPDM is much more O2-friendly but doesn't like to get slid/bent/folded/spindled/mutilated. And don't forget to use an O2-friendly lubricant. The least expensive thing you can buy for your air supply is O-rings. Is your life worth an extra buck?

Good thread - this is why SB is worth its weight in gold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom