Are Weight Belts Obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
I've never tried the weights that look like bullets, but the weights that look like they'll end up in shotgun shells are certainly much more comfy than the weights that look like claymores, which are in turn more comfy than the weights that look like unopened blocks of plastic explosives. Of course, the STA weights that look like shaped charges are, perhaps, even more comfortable, but I'll refrain from considering the comfort of backplates and DSS weight plates, as those are, obviously, purely defensive armor and not properly weaponized. :D

:11: :rofl3:

ClayJar:
I've never tried the weights that look like bullets, but the weights that look like they'll end up in shotgun shells are certainly much more comfy than the weights that look like claymores, which are in turn more comfy than the weights that look like unopened blocks of plastic explosives. Of course, the STA weights that look like shaped charges are, perhaps, even more comfortable, but I'll refrain from considering the comfort of backplates and DSS weight plates, as those are, obviously, purely defensive armor and not properly weaponized. :D
:D :rofl3: :rofl3: Love it!

SparticleBrane:
While I agree with you that weight-integrated BCs suck, I disagree with the above statement. It isn't true 100% of the time. There are plenty of divers who dive in cold water without the need for a weight belt--heavy steel tanks, backplate, etc.
For most divers, they definitely need something extra. But, it isn't an absolute. :)
I dive in cold water, with a dry suit, and use a fully integrated weight system. I use a Zeagle Ranger and it has enough weight capacity to handle me and my drysuit.

I started diving in 1980 with an ATPAC. And have used nothing but integrated weight systems for my entire diving life. The only time I use a weight belt is in the pool where I have to demonstrate weight belt skills to students.

Diving with an integrated weight system is a different set of skills than weight belts. Weight integrated BC's don't suck, it's just that most divers have never been properly trained on how to dive weight integrated. The basic scuba courses all focus on weight belts and require weight belt skills.

I was lucky that back in 1980, the standards allowed more local control of content and I happened to sign up for basic scuba at a store that taught all their OW classes with ATPAC's. So, I learned integrated weight skills from the beginning.

belts are easier to pass up if you are doffing in the water, I find.

Also, belts allow for easier equipment exchange. Integrated can make it harder to trade tanks with someone at depth.

Plus if you do need to remove your kit underwater you need to hold on to a BC if weight integrated, if wearing a thick suit or drysuit you are near upside down holding onto the thing due to the positive buoyancy of it.
Thats hardly great if you need to dekit for any reason (entanglement, trapped etc). Let go just for a second by accident and thats it, missile time.

For that reason alone i dont like weight integrated (i have other reasons too as i stated earlier).

String:
Plus if you do need to remove your kit underwater you need to hold on to a BC if weight integrated, if wearing a thick suit or drysuit you are near upside down holding onto the thing due to the positive buoyancy of it.
Thats hardly great if you need to dekit for any reason (entanglement, trapped etc). Let go just for a second by accident and thats it, missile time.

For that reason alone i dont like weight integrated (i have other reasons too as i stated earlier).
Thats why when doning/doffing a weight integrated system underwater (if possible) you take the same position as while shooting (one knee, one foot) and take the rig off your back and forward to your thigh..

I dive with a single aluminum tank (thus far), a 6 lb. steel plate :)eyebrow: ) and my wing. My harness has 4 D-rings and a crotch strap. I've found there isnt a single thing that I've ever needed on a dive that I havnt been able to attach to my system in a very streamlined manner. Having said this, those who dive with backplates or doubles will most likely agree that weight belts are not obsolete. The belt is a simple system that allows for ease of carry (over the shoulder, around the neck), fast deployment (one hand off the waist and its gone), and the ability to distribute weights around your body exactly where you want them. I use a neoprene compartmentalized weight belt with 12 pounds in half pound ingots and its quite enjoyable...when I get to depth, I just tighten the belt on the fly. In addition to all of this, having weights distributed between my BP/W (the plate) and my body (the belt) allows me to remove my rig underwater without many ill effects, i.e. my body or my rig floating upwards/sinking. I just dont understand why anyone wouldn't want a simple system that works amazing?:shakehead

-Matt

Tigerman:
Thats why when doning/doffing a weight integrated system underwater (if possible) you take the same position as while shooting (one knee, one foot) and take the rig off your back and forward to your thigh..

Which is great provided you can assume that position and dont have to actually work on the kit, free the gear or end up letting go of it for any reason.

That technique may get you through an OW course demonstration skill but real life is highly unlikely to be that kind if its needed.

String:
Which is great provided you can assume that position and dont have to actually work on the kit, free the gear or end up letting go of it for any reason.

That technique may get you through an OW course demonstration skill but real life is highly unlikely to be that kind if its needed.

I completely agree! The times I've had to remove gear for a real reason under water, that technique wouldn't have even come close to working. I would LOVE to see someone pull that off in a current and tank enganglement in a few hundred feet of waving monofiliment. :D

Back
Top Bottom