Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Hogarthian

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • none of the above

Votes: 27 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny.

I know you're kidding (at least I think you are), but who am I supposed to be a sockpuppet for?

I'd be one helluva successful sockpuppet, man, with something like 1400 or 1500 posts... And a good disguise, since I've met and dived with some of the people here.

But heck, I figure you were just kidding... Maybe I'm thick and not really "getting it." :)

Great picture. :D

SeaJay once bubbled...
Maybe I'm thick and not really "getting it." :)
I am more convinced now than ever since I read the post in your "dillusional" thread...:D It is possible there's a correlation

SeaJay once bubbled...

I know you're kidding (at least I think you are),

Of course I am.

but who am I supposed to be a sockpuppet for?

GI. You're DIR so you can't possibly think for yourself.... or at least that's how the saying goes... (kidding here too)

Maybe I'm thick and not really "getting it." :)
Do we need to go over this again? :D

cornfed once bubbled...

[You're supposed to be a sockpuppet for] GI.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAA!!! Ow. I think I pulled something. Holy crap, man... You have to warn me before hitting me with a punchline like that. :D

GI3 sockpuppets are easy to spot... They use the word "convoluted." :D

SeaJay once bubbled...

I think I used that the other day... ****!

cornfed once bubbled...

GI. You're DIR (kidding here too)

:D

I thought I was the DIR sockpuppet????:confused: :D :D

DIR once bubbled...

I thought I was the DIR sockpuppet????:confused: :D :D

Nice job quoting me, um... er.. MISQUOTING me.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Oh no...I use "convoluted" all the time.

"Get a load of that convoluted setup...convoluted regs with a convoluted BC. How does he convolute so much? He's such a convoluter. Stupid convolute will pay for his convolutedness!"

:D

Thanks for contribution and insights folks.

As the poll is closed here's the rationale for yet another DIR vs others inquiry:

No one has defined DIR other than Jablonski and Irvine, and so by default their publications remains the clearest description of the system. Jarrod has also defined what Hogarthian is, although it continues to be debated to this day; Tom Mount had a description in IANTD writings for example. Some think of Hogarthian as DIR-lite but its undeniably just gear configuration than about gases, procedures, and technique.

But it seems many understand the meaning accurately as few are truly DIR, which is literally an all-or-none philosophy.

If one is 'configured' DIR but not following 100% of their precepts, as per JJ and G3, such a diver is only DIR-inspired which at the minimum is Hogarthian [if you configure your gear cave-style] _and_ whatever mix of procedures you use, DIR or not.

So, if you dive a backplate, wing, backup reg as a necklace, long hose, canister light, doubles configured manifold up, backup lights on harness etc., you are at least Hogarthian. 68% at least by this poll. It is simply a clean way to configure gear.

Most technical divers today are diving Hogarthian more than anything else, and the rest, such as procedures and gas usage, is the product of one's certification training or adaptations and is without a label.

However, diving Hogarthian implies a set of techniques too: gas shutdown, how to deploy long hoses, using a canister light, etc., which is necessary given the gear configuration. This setup alone is a substantial difference and sets apart modern technical training from the past and from recreational configurations.

I had the pleasure of talking to Bill Main and Greg Flanagan, both of which have ideas that, if made more public, further shows that Hogarthian style, at least defined by Bill Main himself and with inspiration by Greg Flanagan and others, is evolving and has more to add to help streamline gear further. Its yet a radical departure from the hose configuration DIR uses, but cleaner and simpler still.

I'll leave that discussion for another day and thread.

Thanks all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom