Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Hogarthian

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • none of the above

Votes: 27 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found your explanation to be excellent. I am concerned that so many divers want to "claim" to be a DIR diver, while they are at best Hogarthian. I have had the pleasure of diving with DIR divers, and have learned a great deal from them. Even with this, I am a Hogarthian diver.

I use the long hose primary with a necklace backup reg on all of my dives whether they be on a single AL80 or on high capacity doubles. It simply is a safety issue that gear be configured in a standardized approach.

Now for the bad news......I often dive solo. There, I admitted to it. Living in Ohio leaves me to one option for my typical dives, that being limestone quarries. They certainly aren't the Florida springs, let alone the balmy tropics, but they are nearby the homestead. It is tough sometimes to get the dive buddies out for a day of diving when one has to schedule around family and work. My reason for mentioning the solo diving is because that is how I originally starting using the Hogarthian approach. I, with my limited faculties, realized that solo diving had certain risks. The risks can be greatly minimized by using the Hogarthian approach to gear configuration. I started the route by using the pony bottle setup, and quickly realized that method's limitations.

By the way, the DIR divers that I know obviously don't encourage the solo diving.

We found 1 extra hazard at the local rock quarry that caters to divers. Some idiot placed loosely nylon string (like a net string) between two platforms. Unfortunetly one of the divers got entagled in it while she/he was solo diving.

I was on the surface snorkeling having a good ole time when he/she hit the surface...Without Scuba on...He/She was just fine but it's a reminder that know where is safe. Buddies are nice to have. All though I'm super guilty of solo diving too..I absolutely love it.

We put our gear on and cut that thin nearly clear white slacked nylon and got his/her rig back.

When solo diving does it really matter what other people think of you? If they are judgemental...I simply wouldn't hang out with or be near them. The extra items you should take when solo'ing is definetly a few extra cutting devices and a pony or spare air.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom