Are you a vegetarian?

Are you a vegetarian?

• Fish in the sea, not on a plate. Cow's in a field, not in a burger. I'm a veggie/vegan

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • Don't eat meat but eat fish

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • I eat the insides of an animal to please my palate

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Best place for fish is at the end of my speargun

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Don't eat fish but eat meat

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palettes prefer paint to meat. My palate, on the other hand, prefers meat to paint, as well as to vegetables.

I am a proud member of PETA:

People

(for the)

Eating
(of)

Tasty

Animals

Videos of the way cattle are slaughtered don't stop me from enjoying a good blood-rare steak, because I am a carnivore.

Chickens are given hormones and raised in filthy, disgusting conditions that make them helpless weak and pathetic. But I joyously lick the BBQ sauce off my fingers after a good grilled chicken thigh, and enjoy a fluffly cheesy omelet for breakfast.

Lobsters, crabs and shrimp are scavengers of the sludge at the bottom of the sea, but they are indescribably delicious with drawn butter.

Fish contain metals that will cause all kinds of diseases, but melt in your mouth fried and dipped in tarter.

I love food. All kinds of it. Hey, there is nothing wrong with a few veggies as a side dish with cheese or Hollandaise sauce. But to limit my culinary life to a few greens would be a waste of one of the greatest pleasures God gave me.

I don't eat meat or fish (but eat organic cheese, whenever possible, and eggs) for some of the reasons that you described above.

Your total lack of concern about the welfare of farm animals, the ravaging exploitations of the oceans and the destruction of its habitats for the sake of catching few shrimps, for instance, and your own health is rather staggering!

It really kills me when the majority of people are so oblivious and ignorant about what they fill their stomachs with! They never ask questions, they never seem to be troubled by anything, they keep a blind eye for comfort sake!

In the case of marine animals....Well with the current rate of oceans and seas exploitation for food pretty soon the variety of fish, shellfish etc. that you can buy at the market is going to be a thing of the past! Not to mention the horrific waste that comes with indiscreminate fishing practices. Every day millions of marine animals that are uselss for human consumption get cought in nets and are dumped dead overboard!

Buon appetito!

Google Image Result for http://www.jyi.org/articleimages/157/originals/img1.jpg

The dirty little secret is that everything we eat started out as a living thing or the product of a living thing. Even foods that we consider to be synthetic or artificial, start out with chemicals that were extracted from once-living material.

As sophisticated as our chemistry is, we still lack the ability to synthesize all but the simplest of the organic molecules from raw atoms. We rely on extracting the organic building blocks we need to make various organic chemicals from living or once-living material.

Everything we eat started out at some point as a living thing. (Now before someone pipes up, no salt and water do not qualify as "food".)

Cows fart too much and are adding to global warming.
I do my part by eating as much cow as I can. :D
Plus my BBQ chicken is to die for.
Give me some Salmon grilled on a cedar plank and I'm in heaven.
And everybody knows adding bacon to any dish makes it better.
Gotta go, making a Tuna Fish sandwhich for lunch :sprint:

Amen, brother!!!

I don't eat meat or fish (but eat organic cheese, whenever possible, and eggs) for some of the reasons that you described above.

Your total lack of concern about the welfare of farm animals, the ravaging exploitations of the oceans and the destruction of its habitats for the sake of catching few shrimps, for instance, and your own health is rather staggering!

It really kills me when the majority of people are so oblivious and ignorant about what they fill their stomachs with! They never ask questions, they never seem to be troubled by anything, they keep a blind eye for comfort sake!

In the case of marine animals....Well with the current rate of oceans and seas exploitation for food pretty soon the variety of fish, shellfish etc. that you can buy at the market is going to be a thing of the past! Not to mention the horrific waste that comes with indiscreminate fishing practices. Every day millions of marine animals that are uselss for human consumption get cought in nets and are dumped dead overboard!

Buon appetito!

Google Image Result for http://www.jyi.org/articleimages/157/originals/img1.jpg

Here's the way I see it. Marine fisheries suffer from minimal, or non-existent, property rights and regulation. As such the marine environment is plagued by overfishing and unsustainable catch practices that seek the biggest catch possible, but can't be maintained over the long-term. Humans are omnivores, we are designed to eat other living organisms, to tell others that they cannot because it is "unethical" is in my opinion absurd and unrealistic (not saying anyone here has done that).

However, maintaining sustainable practices that have minimal environmental impact should be the goal. The only way to accomplish this goal is to either a) establish property rights or b) establish regulation. I'm no fan of big government, but when it comes to our food sources and public waters government regulation is in fact the only solution. By carefully studying and reviewing fishing practices to determine their environmental impact and sustainability we can come up with the best long-term solutions to overfishing. Just take a look at the Alaskan king crab industry, catching used to have a competitive "catch all you can" mindset and is now subject to quotas and rules in order to make the industry sustainable.

Our government here in the US has rules and regulations on domestic food production designed to eliminate cruel practices, what may be a bit lacking is enforcement. I've seen numerous PETA (and other groups) videos which have displayed already outlawed practices and behaviors. Putting more restrictive, insensible laws on the books isn't the best solution, enforcing the proper, sensible laws is.

I've talked with people adamantly against any form of hunting or killing of animals. There are even some people against any genetic engineering of crops. If they had their way millions of more people around the world would die from starvation every year (heck our attempts to "save the planet" have already increased food prices around the world). In some areas where people have displaced natural predators we would actually have less stable population levels of animals such as deer and rabbits if there wasn't sustainable, controlled, hunting and trapping.

It comes down to having smart practices that balance the needs of humans and those of the environment. We all make our own choices on what we eat and we should respect the choices of others. So there's my rant on this subject.

Restaurants and stores throw away millions of dollars worth of food each day because they buy/prepare too much of it. Some of us are just doing our part to reduce that waste.

Back
Top Bottom