• 50/50 observer/interacting

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • 25/75 observer/interacting

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Always interacting!

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PnL

Reaction score
Just want to know how many of you ScubaBoarders interact with your diving environment and how often. When I first envisioned myself as a diver I always thought I'd be an observer only. But there are so many things the ocean offers besides its diverse beauty - such as lobsters, scallops, clams, halibut, bass, etc :). I love seafood and I can imagine what it would be like to catch your own fresh seafood and have a feast! Then there's those that wreck dive and possibly hunt for some souvenirs, or perhaps there are those that interact with their diving environment in other ways.

I started my diving as a spearfisher (snorkel only). A couple of years on I started SCUBA, but have never taken a spear out with tanks.

Aside from the fact that it'd just be too easy to get a good, out fishing with a snorkel gives me the option of staying out for 3 or 4 hours seaching for prey.

I hunt using SCUBA when I'm out searching for mussels, scallops, abalone and crays (or lobsters, for you American types)

i am an active observer....there that is what i really wanted to vote. but that was not there, so the closest thing to that was observer/hunter. i look at everything, and sometimes will interact with the creatures .......under the sea...:band: oh oh, started to sing on ya, ok...any way i just love to look and gentlely interact with anything and everything(as long as i dont harm anything, of course some things should not be handled at all..) and i find i enjoy my dives greatly this way....ok it is late....lights out...:bonk:

out of necessity. Living in the PNW as a poor grad student...many times, if we didn't bring home something from our dives to eat, it was the go-hungry diet.

Lingcod, cabezon, crabs, scallops, rockfish, abalone...repeat as necessary.

After this subsistence phase was over, I became strictly an observer, then a photographer. (I guess that's part of observing, tho...)

I will occassionally hunt now, but prefer taking pictures.

but I voted 50/50 because I volunteer at Aquarena Spings quite a bit. Precious little hunting [especially there] but hydrilla pulling, gardening [moving native plants to try to encourage their growth] and the occaisional glass bottom boat widow cleaning!

Interact can be more than "merely' hunting!

I voted strictly observer, although I did go on my first bughunt on the weekend (caught 3 but all were undersized and released :(). I think there are degrees of interaction - I'll pick up trash at a dive site, and am likely to go lobstering again, but I doubt I'll take up scalloping, which was popular with other divers on the boat I was on - although I tried some scallop, and it was absolutely delicious, taking scallops seems a bit more invasive than picking a lobster up off the bottom - sure, in both cases you're removing an animal from the environment, but lobstering doesn't require you to pry stuff off a rock, potentially damaging other sealife, and doesn't leave the bottom littered with empty scallop shells.

:cold:

What I meant to say was- If you wreck dive in the
Great Lakes you really can't touch or take anything.
The artifacts are all protected by law. There really isn't
much else to interact with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom