Arenui Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abreeze

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
We were thinking about booking a trip on the liveaboard Arenui, but have not heard anything good or bad about it. Does anyone have any info for us??

Thanks

The dive guide on our last trip, very experienced in this region, just chartered the whole boat for trip. He says it is an incredible boat with a very good operation. We are going to give it a try next year but it is filling up fast.

I've been a customer on the boat twice (once in Raja Ampat and once in Komodo) and fell in love with it so much I'm now helping on marketing side...

If there's anything specific you want to know, do let me know ... but 'mjh' is right that we've got really booked up for most cruises for next few months ... in fact it's pretty full all the way through until end of 2013

:eyebrow:

There are some spaces on cruises in July 2012, Aug 2013 and later ... but other bit of good news is that we've offering a special discount on 2 of the upcoming cruises since some people had to cancel at the last minute!

* Cruise to Komodo 13-21 July 2011, out of Bali and ending Labuanbajo: we have a special 700 USD discount offer, but only 2 cabins still available...
* Cruise to Komodo 1-8 August 2011, out of and return to Labuanbajo: we have a one-time 350 USD offer, but again only a few spaces open...

RE: the actual boat and facilities, I'll copy a bit of info below but drop me an email direct if you have questions too! (laura@thearenui.com):

:D

The Arenui dive liveaboard is a traditional and magnificent Phinisi, a classic Indonesian wooden sailing vessel, set to explore the majestic underwater world of the Indonesian archipelago.

The Arenui can host a maximum of 16 passengers who can luxuriate in exceptionally spacious cabins that are tastefully furnished with exquisite handicrafts from each of the Indonesian provinces. Each cabin, which far surpasses anything one would expect to find on a liveaboard, has a private en-suite bathroom and individually controlled air conditioning. A king-size bed and separate salon area assures our guests' comfort.

In fact, the Arenui is a work-of-art in itself. Plus, 70% of the wood used to build the Arenui is recycled wood.

Our cruise programs include Komodo, Alor, Maluku, Raja Ampat and, for those looking for more unusual journeys, the New Frontiers of Cenderawasih Bay, Timor Sea and the Taka Bone Rate Atolls. The whole operation is led by our 2 highly experienced western cruise directors, Jerry and Debbie. Our 3 Indonesian divemasters (Ali, Toby and Wawan) are rated amongst the most knowledgeable in the region.
- Ali was trained for many years by Larry Smith (“the legend” of Indonesian’s diving industry)
- Wawan has spent several years diving Raja Ampat and Komodo
- Toby has an amazing knack for spotting rare critters (famous for being the first to spot the psychedelic frogfish in Ambon Bay).

With 22 crew serving a maximum of 16 guests, we aim to make your cruise a truly relaxing and first-class experience.

We have given the same attention to making our meals extraordinary, from the setting to the décor and choice of dishes. Rather than the typical dive liveaboard buffets, you will be able to choose from our daily a-la-carte menus. We can easily cater to any special dietary needs.

On the Arenui, all amenities, such as a full range of massage and spa treatments, are included with the intent to make you feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible at all times. We believe that this individual service and our personalized touches on board will make your holiday an unforgettable one.

The Arenui can be your private sanctuary and second home, but one located amidst a constantly changing tropical landscape!

The Arenui is as good as they claim. Most boats are so over-hyped you can't believe anything they say. We have been on several liveaboards in Indonesia, plus plenty of others. The Arenui is the best we have experienced so far. We have not been on the Damai, but are scheduled for the Damai II next year. I don't believe it is possible for the Damai to be any better, other than having fewer guest cabins.

All Indonesian Phinisis are not alike. This one is built a cut above. Not a creak or a leak. Rooms are as spacious as one needs. Best kitchen I've seen on a liveaboard and they picked up the chef from the ill-fated AA II. Best food ever. Maybe the old Thai version of the Ocean Rover was better, but that's now history. The layout of the boat is fantastic. It has everything you could ask for. I won't list the small details here, but it truly is a remarkable setup with great attention to detail.

Debbie and Jerry are great cruise directors. I'd go on any boat they managed. The crew is awesome.

With all due respect to the Seven Seas, whose people and boat I dearly love, the Arenui has the edge.

Here were the three things I noted on my response card:

1) A/C inadequate for main level aft suites. I was told these were being replaced during the forthcoming dry dock.
2) Plain old coffee maker. Coffee choices were: 1) Balinese style (kind of a press w/ grounds in the coffee) 2) Instant or 3) Espresso/Cappuccino/Latte with a surcharge. Most of drank Nescafe, which kind of sucked. I prefer the SS pot on the Seven Seas that remained fresh throughout the day.
3) They have a magnificent lounge deck on top. There are chaise lounges for those seeking melanoma. There is a section covered by tarp, but the tarp doesn't stretch across completely and the built in lounges are on the outer edge of the deck, so they are never all fully shaded. Need a wider tarp to provide more shaded area.

So, bottom line, this is a boat you want to be on if you can afford it. I hope to be on this boat again.

Don't let anyone else know how good it is. It will be our little secret. OK?

The Arenui is as good as they claim. Most boats are so over-hyped you can't believe anything they say. We have been on several liveaboards in Indonesia, plus plenty of others. The Arenui is the best we have experienced so far. We have not been on the Damai, but are scheduled for the Damai II next year. I don't believe it is possible for the Damai to be any better, other than having fewer guest cabins.

All Indonesian Phinisis are not alike. This one is built a cut above. Not a creak or a leak. Rooms are as spacious as one needs. Best kitchen I've seen on a liveaboard and they picked up the chef from the ill-fated AA II. Best food ever. Maybe the old Thai version of the Ocean Rover was better, but that's now history. The layout of the boat is fantastic. It has everything you could ask for. I won't list the small details here, but it truly is a remarkable setup with great attention to detail.

Debbie and Jerry are great cruise directors. I'd go on any boat they managed. The crew is awesome.

With all due respect to the Seven Seas, whose people and boat I dearly love, the Arenui has the edge.

Here were the three things I noted on my response card:

1) A/C inadequate for main level aft suites. I was told these were being replaced during the forthcoming dry dock.
2) Plain old coffee maker. Coffee choices were: 1) Balinese style (kind of a press w/ grounds in the coffee) 2) Instant or 3) Espresso/Cappuccino/Latte with a surcharge. Most of drank Nescafe, which kind of sucked. I prefer the SS pot on the Seven Seas that remained fresh throughout the day.
3) They have a magnificent lounge deck on top. There are chaise lounges for those seeking melanoma. There is a section covered by tarp, but the tarp doesn't stretch across completely and the built in lounges are on the outer edge of the deck, so they are never all fully shaded. Need a wider tarp to provide more shaded area.

So, bottom line, this is a boat you want to be on if you can afford it. I hope to be on this boat again.

Don't let anyone else know how good it is. It will be our little secret. OK?

Lol about "our little secret!" Does this mean they are making the famous AA2 fresh fruit shakes in the morning?

It is probably the very best live-aboard in the whole of Indonesia. They employ three of Indonesia's best dive-guides. The cabins are out of a fantasy novel. The attention to detail is unsurpassed. I can carry on and on, but enough said...
except: they have Italian espresso!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom