Army Researcher looking for underwater computer-like device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a research assistant at the US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine in Natick, MA. We are starting a study in which subjects will be underwater and will need to record data. The device for entering the data would have to be waterproof and does not need to be a full keyboard. Really only 4 keys are necessary. The simpler the better. I was curious if anyone knows of any such device.
Any info would be very much appreciated!
Theresa

at the risk of sounding rude:

1) what type of data is US Army going to gather?

2) what '4 keys' are necessary? A,B,C,D? 1,2,3,4? Other?

I'm at FMI. Do you guys want to create an SBIR topic? I'm sure we could come up with a device to fit your needs.

Ralph

Also need to know how deep the data will be gathered.

How much pressure must the device withstand.

Shallow would be reasonably simple to rig something that would work but as you go deeper it gets much more dificult...

Is this something that is timing dependant (RE: WHEN the button is pushed is as important as WHICH button is pushed?) or is it possable to just write on a slate and enter the data back at the surface (just less convenient)?

(Green_Manelishi): 4 keys are necessary and it doesn't matter if they are letters, numbers, or even colors. It could even be some sort of game console (just waterproof)

(rcohn): Thanks for the offer to set up an SBIR, but it is unnecessary...just a small project.

(dc4bs): The study will be done in a shallow pool. Pressure is not a factor really. It is also not time dependent. They just need to be able to press the specific key when a response is needed. They may be shivering.

Thanks for replying and trying to help out.

T.

Shivering sounds like fun!!

What kind of project?

Well if it doesn't have to be very deep...

I'd get a small project box from Radio Shaft ..er... Shack, or maybe a waterproof Pelican box, and wire it up with switches, with a cable coming out of it. You might have to weight it.

See if a marine supply place has waterproof switches. If not, you'll have to seal a rubber or flexible plastic diaphram over the box to keep the water out. Probably a good idea regardless. Try a condom! :)

If the switch box needs to be connected to something underwater, you could use a military barrel connector (Amphenol type). My preference would be to just run the cable out of the pool to make a dry connection with your data collection system.

Hope that helps!

g2

Theresa~

There is a computer manufactuer located in northern california that builds units for various underwater military applications. I will assume they can build the unit you desire to your exact specifications- I have worked with them in the past, they are top notch.

Please contact them directly- www.heliox.com - they will know exactly how to get you the needed results for the lowest amount of money, while keeping the data in a usable & downloadable format.

Best of luck-

Thread's a bit old (over 3 years); and apparently she didn't find what she was looking for at SB.

Theresa Bindig:
I am a research assistant at the US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine in Natick, MA. We are starting a study in which subjects will be underwater and will need to record data. The device for entering the data would have to be waterproof and does not need to be a full keyboard. Really only 4 keys are necessary. The simpler the better. I was curious if anyone knows of any such device.
Any info would be very much appreciated!
Theresa

abacus do?

Back
Top Bottom