Army Scuba Qualification Badge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KangarooSeatbelt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a US Army soldier, and an avid scuba diver. I have seen the Army scuba qualification patch on the BDUs of Seals and actual army scuba divers (mostly 00Bs). I am wondering what I have to do in order to attain that patch to wear on my BDUs. Do I have to go to the Army Scuba Diver course (what is the course?) or is there a way I can challenge the course through my civilian certification? I am a medic, so I can usually get into any school. I'm up for reenlistment in a year, so I'm thinking I might be able to put this school in my reenlistment contract. There's no way my commander (an O6 with great connections) will let me get out. So if I make it a requirement for my reenlistment, she'll pull the strings to get me the school.
I just want to know what path I need to take to get Army Scuba Qualified.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

good question. Seems you can use civilian freefall school to transfer over for your HALO wings after you have obtained the proper amount of jumps. I would venture to say that in the end of things that we would be told "NO" because we didn't go through the clubs initiation.

Keep in mind that applying to any school that conducts activity that can put the completion of your tasks in your primary MOS in jeopardy will probably be rejected.

And, with all due respect, I am concerned about your motives for wanting the qualification: "I am wondering what I have to do in order to attain that patch to wear on my BDUs."

I cherish my Army Aviator wings. I know many people who tried to earn those wings and failed. I know may people who earned those wings and died. I don't particularly like people wearing those wings on their BDU's because they look cool and pick up chicks.

Forgive me, but I hate posers and wannabees!

If you are offended, I am sorry that you are offended, but I am not sorry for my position on the issue.

Those who have attended schools, been graduated from the programs and have rightfully earned the rights to wear such badges tend to view such attitudes with a high degree of disdain, and in my opinion, rightfully so.

the K

Re-reading my message, I see i probably could have chosen better wording. I in no way meant to imply that i merely wanted the qualification to wear on my shirt. I hate that attitude and have found that soldiers with that attitude 9 times out of 10 don't deserve to wear half the crap they have. I completely agreee with you.
My question is how I can get that school without changing my MOS. I want the specific school that issues that specific qualification, so i just said the one that will get that patch on my bdu's. I'm not doing it for the patch, f the patch... i want the school! I'm a good medic, I'm a good NCO, and I am a good diver. I am just wondering if I can get to the army scuba school!

You seem to have more than one of the same thread active, so I will post here what I posted in the other thread...

There are two different military schools for Army divers. The first is the Comabt Diver Qualification Course (CDQC) and is intended for members of special operations forces or other units with a need to conduct waterborne operations. The second is through the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center and is for military divers who will serve in engineer dive units.

You can find more information on the engineering dive route at this site: http://www.wood.army.mil/577th/diver/course desc.htm

The only people I have know to get CDQC slots are people in special operations and a few cadets (ROTC or USMA) selected each year.

Based on the information you have provided, you must reclass for the engineer dive program and can not do so as an NCO. Therefore, the only dive program available for you would be CDQC. It could be possible to get that school with your present MOS and assignment, however that is probably very unlikely. If you want the schooling and the badge, apply for the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course.

Well said cdtgrey

SFAS is the best way to get it. There are a few other small units in the army (besides OOBs) that get the school. It is a tough course. If you are a good medic bone up on your PT/rucking and combat operations stuff (a good way is to get the SF correspondence courses) and put in a 4187. They definitely need good NCOs. (plus after you make it through SFQC you are a registered Paramedic-unless they changed that.)

Squalus:
good question. Seems you can use civilian freefall school to transfer over for your HALO wings after you have obtained the proper amount of jumps.

I just curious what unit did you see or here of this taking place in?

colt:
I just curious what unit did you see or here of this taking place in?

As Foghorn Leghorn used to say...

Its a JOKE Son....

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom