Arrogance and humility among divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I run into an arrogant diver, the first thing I do is ask if they are from New Jersey.

The first thing one should do if running into arrogance is to figure out if you are too sensitive, and if the offender is actually trying to be arrogant. I wound up with two excellent buddys because I looked past they were from New Jersey, or their arrogance, whichever applies more, and learned what kind of person and diver they were.

Bob
Has, at times, been seen as arrogant by some.
I can overlook an arrogant jerk's arrogant jerkiness at work if they really have the skills, ability and willingness to do the work to match their attitude. I have run into a few that could. I've been accused of being that guy too.

I can overlook an arrogant jerk's arrogant jerkiness at work if they really have the skills, ability and willingness to do the work to match their attitude. I have run into a few that could. I've been accused of being that guy too.
I understand the statement and sentiment... but tick a little different. That person at work is still a person to be dealt with every day. That can get old in time even if the skill willingness and ability are there . Much worse of course if not. Worse yet if yhe only thing backing it up is the position or title.. or relationship with owner or such....

While diving on the otherhand, things are just great really. Because after all, one is diving... "Down there" show offs, word heroes, know it alls,... they are just wonderfully shut off. On shore dives you pick whom you are together with ... or not. On boat dives, maybe LOBs, yea, there is exposure but ot's minimal on a dayboat and really, its a bearable freakshow if somone is just too full of himself. On an LOB I (limited exposure and so far sll good) it goes both ways I think and since none of the diving guests job depends on political correctnes or such, I don't see why some ... heartfelt words (in private at first maybe, at the table if as mecessary) with corrective / pointing out effect to someone just unbearably full of himself ... could not be "applied" to help remedy the situation before it is too unbearable....
Now if there was a whole group of "unbearables" that might be different a bit...
But still... how bad could it be... people are people and usually can be gotten along with otetty well... and it's all while being on a dive trip... seems like a nice problem to have to me.

Condescending, belittling, patronizing, exclusionary, ... attitude (for real or to mask ignorance or...) by professionals or shops or such..., yeah, that's no good

A group of cave divers who don't want to get killed by the newb who could have that effect being "stand-offish-elitist" or such. Their "business" how they "deal with it" to protect themselves. The trash talking about (in their view) lesser divers... yeah, not great, but par for the course for people in groups. The blue people talk that way about the green ones and vice versa, the non believers about the believers and vice versa, different flavors of believers get rallied by manipulators to fight wars they choose to believe are over that, ... engineers snicker over communication majors or marketing prople and vice versa, ... , The men from Mars yap about the Women from Venus all par for the course anout groups and people...
and yet if it's in a diving context and diving is involved... hey, that's good...

I happily would like to spend more of my time having opportunity to ponder diving peoples behavior, including the unbearable ones..., ... its a nice problem to have... it means I'd be diving more...

Wow! Just WOW! I don't know where to start. First of all, your sweeping generalization displays a significant amount of arrogance on your part especially your desire to deliberately ruin it for those trying to take a picture.

As someone who seldom dives without a camera, I find your comment so far off base that I feel that they need to be addressed. Underwater photography is very difficult and often extremely frustrating. Without exception, I have found that the people you refer to as "photographers with big expensive cameras" will always take the time to try to help those who are just starting to take pictures underwater. We are always willing to share what techniques work for us and what we have found as less than ideal techniques. (The two most common pieces of advice that I give are "try to get below your subject and to shoot up at it" and "light behaves differently underwater, try to get as close as you can to your subject to let the strobes be the most effective".) If on a LOB, or back at the hotel, if the person has downloaded their images on to their computer, I am willing to take all the time they want to discuss editing and post production or even what they could have done differently when they took the picture to have maybe improved the outcome. Granted, I will seldom give unsolicited advice, but if somebody asks me a question, I will do whatever I can to try to help them improve and to get a shot that they will be proud of. I love it when somebody (no matter what camera they have) comes up to me after a dive and says "Look at this shot! I think I nailed it!"

I also realize that if there is something cool to see, that I may be there for a while trying to get "the shot". Therefore, I will normally wait till everybody else has seen whatever it is and I will go last. Quite often that means that I will be there longer than expected because while I was calmly waiting till others had seen whatever it was, some POS kicked up a the silt just so I can't get a half decent shot.

On those rare occasions where I happen to find something first, I will always try to get somebody else over so that I can share what I found with others. It really is no fun if I am the only one who sees something.
I always dive with a camera too. So I know that, but I am not shitting on other people or looking down on them. I let them have their time, wait my turn. I don't brag. If they wanna see my shots, they can. If they want something explained, I do. I keep to myself. But I met lots of photographers that think they know all and are the best because they have a better camera or because they have been somewhere or seen something I haven't. I hate arrogant people. It's not because I would love to kick up the sand that I also do it. I just ignore them as much as possible.

I always dive with a camera too. So I know that, but I am not shitting on other people or looking down on them. I let them have their time, wait my turn. I don't brag. If they wanna see my shots, they can. If they want something explained, I do. I keep to myself. But I met lots of photographers that think they know all and are the best because they have a better camera or because they have been somewhere or seen something I haven't. I hate arrogant people. It's not because I would love to kick up the sand that I also do it. I just ignore them as much as possible.
I actually kind of get the feeling that you and I would probably have a really good time diving together if we ever found ourselves buddied up together.

I actually kind of get the feeling that you and I would probably have a really good time diving together if we ever found ourselves buddied up together.
I was thinking the same... :)

Reminds me of a story from one of our earlier trips to Bonaire. My ex-wife had just gotten her first digital camera ... a little point-n-shoot. She'd previously been using a Nikonos, and was a pretty decent photographer, but really liked the simplicity of her little Canon P&S. On the way out to Klein Bonaire one day there was a fellow on board who was obviously very proud of his new Nikon big rig. Cheng being Cheng just had to ask him about it, and that's all we got to hear about all the way out to our dive site. After the dive the man was very proud of his pictures, and was showing them to everyone who he could show them to. That night was the weekly photo contest at Capt. Don's, and as it turned out Cheng's picture of a pair of reef squids won first place. The next day on the boat that fellow wouldn't even talk to us ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I suppose one can be arrogant and be an exceptional diver- however I imagine many are now solo divers.

... most photographers I know prefer diving solo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I suppose one can be arrogant and be an exceptional diver- however I imagine many are now solo divers.
I suppose.

But it seems to me to be the complete opposite. Arrogance requires an audience. Check the web for 'arrogance' tests. Solo divers come and go pretty much unannounced and prefer it that way. No 'Uber Diver' attitude, mostly just "Hey! You diving here tonight?" if our paths cross. I'm betting that you never really see solo divers.

We don't judge, grade, or even give half a .... what you are doing. Knock yourself out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom