Article: Dive dry with dr. Bill #617: How about a little perspective?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi Dr. Bill,

Thanks again! I enjoyed it.

I am amazed at how much humans don't know. Your balanced and rational approach to the big-picture is refreshing.

After all, how do cosmic rays, solar wind, x-ray flares, planetary k-index, interplanetary mag field, coronal holes, and sunspots affect life on earth? We collectively really don't know--in any definitive way that is. Unfortunately, I focused on examples from our solar system. How about energy forms affecting earth from our galaxy, other galaxies, or our universe? Again, we don't have definitive answers.

How does the precesionary cycle affect life on earth? Does the proturbent matter about the equator really create Earth's wobble (I believe it does...hmmm)? How does our elliptical orbit around the sun affect us? Will life be different on earth when Vega retakes its position as our north star? What triggers an interglacial? What triggers a dreaded glacial period. We really don't have definitive answers.

Interesting stuff.

markm

Right on Dr. Bill. Sadly, education has moved in the direction of factoid-based learning vs. depth of knowledge and apprenticeship as you've indicated. The good thing is that there are folks like you out there who actually know what good science ed. looks like. Keep on truckin'

Cheers!

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom