Article: Don't Worry - It Will Be OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thought-provoking and cautionary article, and an excellent one, as yours always are, Bob. Thank you to Julie for the graciousness of allowing her daughter's story to be told this way, too.
You are welcome. My goal since her accident has always been to try to make this a safer sport for new divers. I wasn't a diver, so I learned everything I could about the sport and got certified. I work with OW students now so hopefully I've made a difference for one of them.

---------- Post Merged at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Thank you, Bob and Julie, for doing this. I have no doubt that many, many divers will be safer as a result. It's an important reminder not only of why we need to be assertive about our needs and concerns in diving, but that when a diver is lost, a grieving family is left behind. I'm very sorry for your loss, Julie.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Julie.
I can't understand why they didn't assign one of their staff to dive with your daughter given her lack of experience.
In my first dive trip after I got my OW, the shop assigned one instructor to go one-one with me to make sure of my safety. Only after a few dives and the instructor getting comfortable with my dive skills, they added more divers to our group.

iam so sorry for jeniffer.....

Thank you all - she was an amazing person. Please feel free to pass the article around to your diving friends and dive shops. The message is a great one for both new and experienced divers.

I had a sick feeling as I began reading the story.

I'll second what Julie said ... our goal is to help other divers, particularly new divers, better understand how to establish a basis for making better safety decisions, rather than simply trusting others to make those decisions for them.

As an aside, Julie and I and some of her other friends will be visiting the site where her daughter passed away next Friday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks you both. I have seen so many times where shops and dive pros reassure beginners into situations where they don't feel comfortable.
I don't understand why they don't up sell the trip, as Bob mentioned, to include a private DM or instructor for additional training. It just seems so obvious.
thank you both for sharing.
Julie, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'll second what Julie said ... our goal is to help other divers, particularly new divers, better understand how to establish a basis for making better safety decisions, rather than simply trusting others to make those decisions for them.

As an aside, Julie and I and some of her other friends will be visiting the site where her daughter passed away next Friday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It should also be emphasised that any diver, for any reason, at any time, should feel free to say "no" with zero negative feedback.

Thank you for sharing, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing this. I, along with my husband and 13 yr old son were just certified this past weekend. This was a much needed reminder that we need to choose dives wisely and make sure that we have the knowledge and skills needed before jumping into something that we are not prepared to handle.

Awesome, awesome post, Bob and Julie. Well done. My daughter is going to read this...

Thanks, Bob. That was well written and thoughtful. The importance of exercising your right to call the dive, no matter what your experience level is something that should be instilled in divers mind early on as a student because not everyone will think of taking that initiative.

Back
Top Bottom