Article: Is the Dive Watch Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider a dive watch an essential part of my dive equipment. I do have a classic, very old Rolex but my watch of choice is a 300m, solar powered Citizens watch with a large screen. OK I take it off for the TSA. It is heavy. But the next time your fancy dive computer fails or the battery dies, (and I love my Shearwater), there is nothing like having an analog depth and pressure gauge console (with magnetic compass) and a reliable watch.

I consider a dive watch an essential part of my dive equipment. I do have a classic, very old Rolex but my watch of choice is a 300m, solar powered Citizens watch with a large screen. OK I take it off for the TSA. It is heavy. But the next time your fancy dive computer fails or the battery dies, (and I love my Shearwater), there is nothing like having an analog depth and pressure gauge console (with magnetic compass) and a reliable watch.

Sorry, but I do not agree. A watch with tables is OK for a single dive. But it becomes a poor backup for consecutive dives unless you have planned your consecutive dives on tables with remaining nitrogen from previous dives. Who does this if he has a primary dive computor?

I'm surprised to hear people talking about how their watch leaked. Human error. You need a screw down crown and it must be screwed down tight for starters.
The crown is easy, you don't use it a lot and it's usually well-sealed. It's the chronograph pushers that cause the trouble. Either they're non-screw-down, in which case they will leak if pushed, or screw-down, in which case they're not as solid as the crown and completely non-water-resistant if not screwed down.

I agree the chronograph pushers are usually the culprit. Unless specifically noted, a watches pushers should not be used underwater. Dive computer yes, watch no.

When I was looking to replace my gauge pod I went to one of the local shops to check it out. Not one single gauge in the place. I asked the young guy and girl behind the counter if they had any. They looked at me with this idiotic blank expression. The guy says " I just run 3 computers". Whatever. Good thing I have multiple shops to choose from.

I
When I was looking to replace my gauge pod I went to one of the local shops to check it out. Not one single gauge in the place. I asked the young guy and girl behind the counter if they had any. They looked at me with this idiotic blank expression. The guy says " I just run 3 computers". Whatever. Good thing I have multiple shops to choose from.

For analog gauges, try an antique shop :dork2:

That just means you have to let technology do your thinking for you. :nyah:

Exactly. That's why I'm commenting on this thread using my ham radio rig that I built myself in the 1970s.

73 from WB2SQQ..!

What is the 60/60/120 rule? As a new diver I am interested in learning
More than just doing what is taught and relying on dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom