Article on Death In Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sense that proper procedure to gianaameri would be "his procedure" whatever that may be and on whatever subject it might relate to.

The misunderstanding seems to be around what constitutes a "proper" procedure... you and guanaameri clearly disagree on what that means. I think you are implying in this post that being established makes it proper, he seems to question that.

I think you can draw that inference, but that is not what he has said. He has said that they did not follow standard police procedures, and he wants to know why. When people responded that standard police procedures were followed, he cited standard procedures in Spain, which apparently has standard procedures different from those in Florida. He is correct in that the Florida police did not follow standard Spanish procedures. I will grant him that. Not only that, the Florida reports were written in English, which is also a violation of the Spanish standards. I am surprised he has not mentioned that yet.

I sense that proper procedure to gianaameri would be "his procedure" whatever that may be and on whatever subject it might relate to.

This would be fine for me:

ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION

1. ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION

The forum recommends that training agencies provide rebreather divers with a simple list of instructions that will mitigate common errors in evidence preservation after a serious incident or rebreather fatality.
– These instructions will be developed under the auspices of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Diving Committee in consultation with the relevant RF3 presenters.
2. ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION
The forum endorses the concept of a widely notified centralized “on-call” consultation service to help investigators in avoiding errors or omissions in the early stages of a rebreather accident investigation, and to facilitate referral to expert investigative services.
3. ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION
The forum recommends that in investigating a rebreather fatality the principal accident investigator invite the manufacturer of the incident rebreather (or other relevant equipment) to assist with its evaluation (including the crucial task of data download) as early as is practicable.
4. ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION
The forum endorses the DAN worldwide initiative to provide a means of on-line incident reporting with subsequent analysis and publication of incident root causes.

Source: RF3.0 (rebreather or OC is the same, still "life-support" diving equipment, computers, electronics, gases, pPO2, WOB, human error, team errors, procedural errors...).

it's an area with a whole lot of experts on how to do dangerous diving safely, and how divers get killed when they mess up. If the people who dove with him and their instructors all agree on what happened, the gas is matches the symptoms, everyone who was there agrees that he refused to test it and they know what he thought it was; then that's what happened for the cops. they have better things to spend money on, case closed.

All I have to add here is thank gawd Carlos wasn't diving a rebreather when he died. gianaameri would blow up the internet with that!!!

Absent probable cause, or at least reasonable suspicion (depending on the extent of the investigation), to believe a crime was committed, a death is not a police matter in the US. Here, witnesses at the scene explained that they'd asked him why he was diving a bottle marked O2, related his answer, and the police witnessed someone who actually knew what they were doing (unlike the police) analyze the tank and reveal 98% O2 content. No probable cause, not even reasonable suspicion - case closed.

See how simple those proper procedures can be?

There was no gear "confiscation" or death investigation needed at Ginnie as he was not dead. He was alive and taken away in an ambulance after the tox incident. At that point it was an unfortunate accident with no deaths and handled accordingly. He died later in a hospital. Nothing to cover up, no conspiracy,

Sent via

To everyone who contributed thoughtful comments on this topic, my thanks. I always learn something from these discussions. To those who just vented, consider this: thousands of people saw this article and engaged in a discussion on the critical need for gas testing. I feel that's a contribution to diving safety in general and I'm pleased that I've managed even this modest contribution. So what have you done lately?

It's so nice that you take credit for contributing to diving safety on the body of your friend.

Bravo.

Woo-Hoo!! Made it through all 20 pages of this thread without my head exploding! Now, if I could only get the last hour of my life back...:banghead:

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom