Article on Death In Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could have been 98% Air and 2% CO for all we know...

And it could have been 1 percent kryptonite mixed with vaporized rat ****... however, that premise is illogical... as is carbon monoxide poisoning since that was not represented by his reported behavior and nor did CO poisoning present its quite obvious signs to the medical crew who transported him to hospital.

Therefore, the conclusion that he breathed oxygen at great depth and suffered a classic tonic/clonic episode is a logical consequence of the original premise: poor gas operations/management

And it could have been 1 percent kryptonite mixed with vaporized rat ****... however, that premise is illogical... as is carbon monoxide poisoning since that was not represented by his reported behavior and nor did CO poisoning present its quite obvious signs to the medical crew who transported him to hospital.

Therefore, the conclusion that he breathed oxygen at great depth and suffered a classic tonic/clonic episode is a logical consequence of the original premise: poor gas operations/management

Still that (if true) does not excuse the tank contents not having been properly examined by a forensic lab.

A forensic lab report is the only way to be sure of the tank content.

I am not going to do your homework for you. Some of these details are in the incident report on the iucrr website which was referenced around 200 posts ago. My knowledge of what happened doesn't come from that report but it may answer some of your questions. I honestly don't understand why you haven't read it.

Btw there is a disclaimer on that website where one agrees to several conditions before reviewing the incident reports.

First and last name and qualifications, please.

Details, if possible, of equipment used, and date and copy of last calibration certification of the equipment.

Gases tested?

98% O2 (so they said...), but please provide at least content of remaining 2%.

:D

Still that (if true) does not excuse the tank contents not having been properly examined by a forensic lab.

It was well documented that he had his own fill station at his house. Anything in that tank was put there by him. He handled his own tanks, filled his own tanks, labeled his own tanks, did everything but analyze his own tanks when it was critical.

There was no reason to waste government resources on what was a self inflicted accident. It's also not required by law.

Forensic labs have enough work to do analyzing actual evidence from actual crimes.

So, following your reasoning in this thread, wouldn't you--since you are the one who is defining the word "properly"--have to personally vet the lab and its procedures? What kind of forensic lab would meet your standard? What specific procedures and steps would be sufficient? Or are you going to trust a lab to get it right just because they call themselves a forensics lab? You don't seem to trust some US law enforcement departments present procedures. Where do you draw the line? Might the labs and procedures used by some law enforcement agencies in the US not meet your standards? You have already declared that what the authorities apparently felt was the standard or proper way to handle this kind of incident did not meet YOUR standard or definition of "proper."

You're assuming it's important to "be sure of the tank content" - a baseless assumption.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

i have deleted a large number of messages here. I could have probably deleted more. Stop the personal attacks and stay on topic please. Marg. SB Senior Moderator

Anything in that tank was put there by him.

So, he came from Canada with the tank and never emptied it, in part or in whole, or used it while in Florida, particularly recently before the fatality, and that tank was never refilled in Florida by anyone, particularly recently before the incident, or at any time before the fatality?

Did he travel with a portable compressor and/or booster?

Let's get the facts straight.

So, he came from Canada with the tank and never emptied it, in part or in whole, or used it while in Florida, particularly recently before the fatality, and that tank was never refilled in Florida by anyone, particularly recently before the incident, or at any time before the fatality?

Yeah, funny how all that happens when you bite it on your first dive with the tank in question, isn't it? If you bothered to ascertain the facts in the first place, perhaps you could participate in an intelligent discussion of them - you haven't done the former, which goes a long way to explaining why you're flailing around haplessly w/r/t the latter.

Did he travel with a portable compressor and/or booster?

Let's get the facts straight.

So by your argument, if I were to be so careless as to breath my O2 deco gas as a travel gas to great depth, then tox out, I would not be personally responsible because there is no proof that the oxygen I filled was still oxygen, because there is no proof that someone else didn't tamper with it in the back of my car? It sounds a bit looney to me, but I will defer to your superior forensic mind and advise my next of kin to sue the police if they don't blame some mysterious third party for my untimely demise.

I don't know what they teach in your area, but where I was trained breathing 98% oxygen below 6 meters for any length of time can kill you. What was in the other 2% doesn't really matter in context of the fact that the gas he was breathing is known to be toxic at the depths he was breathing it.

To employ a previous analogy, if the police found a guy with a fatal gunshot wound to the head, would it matter that the cigarette in his mouth could give him cancer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom