Ascending: special breath techniques on ascent??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pazzo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm very new the this and have a few questions regarding descending/ ascending, etc...

After reaching your max depth on the freedive, is it recommended that you make the full ascent in one full go rather than stopping on the way up?

And when you are about to surface, is it advisable to exhale the air from your lungs, or are you supposed to hold it until you surface?

If you just inhale and dive (no hyperventilating or whatnot), is one still likely to get a deep/shallow water blackout?

I've researched the shallow/deep water blackout online, but can't really find much info as to how to prevent it. Any info will help :coffee:

Thanks everybody

Freedivers come straight up, usually. They generally hold their breath until close to the surface so they can ride the bouyancy of their expanding lungs as much as possible. Most people begin to exhale maybe 5-9 feet deep, I guess.

Hyperventilating increases your chance of SWB, so do it little. If you feel dizzy or lips or fingers get numb on breath up, you have pushed to far on the breath up. If you get dizzy on ascent or legs get very tired or numb you are pushing the dive too hard, especially for a beginner. You should have a buddy to watch you so that if/when you black out on ascent they can save you. YouTube - Freediver Blackout

"And when you are about to surface, is it advisable to exhale the air from your lungs, or are you supposed to hold it until you surface?"
If you are snorkeling, it is advisable to exhale forcefully through the snorkel as you surface, to clear the snorkel tube of water before inhaling....

Best,

Doc

It is generally NOT advisable to have the snorkel in your mouth when freediving except when at the surface.

dumpsterDiver - Do you mind elaborating on why you don't like to have your snorkel in your mouth?

I'm not dumpsterdiver but reasons are.. mainly, because with the snorkel in your mouth you've provided a direct route for the water to enter should something happen. Also, on a good freedive, it is less strain on your jaw muscles, and so, less fatigued, to keep the snorkel out. Easier/better breath up at the surface, and much easier to pack. Much more comfortable without snorkel. And if you're not using a snorkel at all, of course there is less drag. Spitting out the snorkel at the beginning of a dive is a good habit to get into, plus if you're spearfishing, it's a lot more quiet. :)

If you are properly weighted you should be positively bouyant for the last 10 metres or so on the way up, which means you won't have to work too hard to get to the surface. Exhaling for the last few feet isn't necessary, but it does mean that once you hit the surface you are ready to take a breath right away, which is a good thing.

There's no surefire way to prevent shallow water blackout. Some things (such as hyperventilating) can make it more likely, but even in you do absolutely everything right you can still have a SWB or a samba. This is why it is 100% essential to have a buddy who is properly trained in freediving safety.

I also recommend spitting out your snorkel before you go down. It makes holding your breath easier and makes you more streamlined.

Makes sense... I'll have to try it.

pazzo (and everyone else) - I witnessed a SWB in a 12' swimming pool last year. The dive was short, maybe a minute long (est). The guy did not do what most people would call hyperventilation, although he did change his normal breathing pattern prior to his dive. But honestly, who can say that their breathing pattern does not change at all prior to going under water? He was fine, woke up confused on the pool deck a few seconds later.

Moral - even when a physically fit person does something entirely within his/her personal limits, bad things can happen. A Navy SEAL drowned in a swimming pool in Hawaii because the same thing happened to him, but without a dozen people watching to pull him out of the pool. Make sure you trust the person watching you to pay attention and get you out of the water.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom