Ascent rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say this was one of the toughest posts to interperet because of the lack of properly used capitalization, grammar, punctuation and spelling. I say this only because you may still be able to edit it so that it is understandable.

It was not difficult to interpret. English is not everyone's first language. Or the OP might just not have great English skills.

It is really annoying when people correct the grammar/spelling/capitalisation of others such as you have done. Yes, it is painful to read but this is a forum made up of people with varying degrees of written ability...

It was not difficult to interpret. English is not everyone's first language. Or the OP might just not have great English skills.

It is really annoying when people correct the grammar/spelling/capitalisation of others such as you have done. Yes, it is painful to read but this is a forum made up of people with varying degrees of written ability...

:worship:

...if I verged on getting as (sic) headache....
...For small errors or ommissions (sic) the badge...

You said you grammar police but you let your own spelling errors. This is good funny.

Hey maged.....I like your AV. Here is a little something in line with it :D.

wild_beaver.jpg

And, I wear the "Grammar Police" badge proudly but only show it when the offending post really was an abuse of the English language and if I verged on getting as headache simply from trying to figure out what the post was saying. For small errors or ommissions the badge stays in the pocket :D.
I reckon seeing some capitals there, though :eyebrow:

Ok, Steve, you can rephrase: " :w-t-f: "
EDIT: Oh, it is already below your username :rofl3:

:rofl3:

I must say this was one of the toughest pictures to interperet because of the lack of properly used capitalization, grammar, punctuation and spelling. I say this only because you may still be able to edit it so that "caution" is spelled properly.:D

I must say this was one of the toughest pictures to interperet because of the lack of properly used [-]capitalization[/-], [-]grammar[/-], punctuation and spelling. I say this only because you may still be able to edit it so that "caution" is spelled properly.:D

I'll be sure to let the author know if I can figure out where the picture came from originally. Thanks for the heads up. I am sure they will correct the issue right away.

where did I put this thread. Good comments and feed back. Its mostly aimed on divers who have just started out and or get problems. So its just what I use when diving reefs here in Borneo.
however I would like to ad . Some diver's get into deco by diving to the maximum bottom time. instead of prep to come up on a square profile just before the bottom time. EG giving time to get off the bottom un UK waters or time to put up a DSMB
Yes for us pros We know what and when and how to control the ascent. And can speedily descend also with out no problem. My heat goes out to those who Do NOY have that self awareness. To many divers out the become certified with out knowing how and what to do in the real dive world. For some the basic requirements and advanced courses are just not enough.
Its the same in any sport. its not until we lean and practice. We then discover our limits and what works. Like a master in the arts. Its up to us to paint the picture and ass down those skills.
We All have our own way in life on how we do and act. However. The amount of student that come from all parts of the world. Ask and some just don ask. Its like a religion. what they have been shown in practice, is what they feel is the way it should be, NO its not the case.
I hope you can see my point and see what I am trying to explain .
I am not making or trying to draw any lines or make laws .
But this feed back is good.
Cheers !

where did I put this thread. Good comments and feed back. Its mostly aimed on divers who have just started out and or get problems. So its just what I use when diving reefs here in Borneo.
however I would like to ad . Some diver's get into deco by diving to the maximum bottom time. instead of prep to come up on a square profile just before the bottom time. EG giving time to get off the bottom un UK waters or time to put up a DSMB
Yes for us pros We know what and when and how to control the ascent. And can speedily descend also with out no problem. My heat goes out to those who Do NOY have that self awareness. To many divers out the become certified with out knowing how and what to do in the real dive world. For some the basic requirements and advanced courses are just not enough.
Its the same in any sport. its not until we lean and practice. We then discover our limits and what works. Like a master in the arts. Its up to us to paint the picture and ass down those skills.
We All have our own way in life on how we do and act. However. The amount of student that come from all parts of the world. Ask and some just don ask. Its like a religion. what they have been shown in practice, is what they feel is the way it should be, NO its not the case.
But this feed back is good.
Cheers !
(Translation...I think.:D)

Where did I put this thread? Good comments and feedback. It's mostly aimed at divers who have just started out and/or get into problems. So it's just what I use when diving reefs here in Borneo.

However, I would like to add.. . some diver's get into deco by diving through maximum bottom time instead of preparing to come up on a square profile just before the bottom time, i.e. not giving time to get off the bottom in UK waters or to put up a DSMB

Yes, for us pros we know when and how to control the ascent and can speedily descend also without any problems. My heart goes out to those who do not have that self awareness. Too many divers out there become certified without knowing how and what to do in the real dive world. For some the basic requirements and advanced courses are just not enough.

It's the same in any sport. It's not until we learn and practice... We then discover our limits and what works. Like a master in the arts. It's up to us to paint the picture and get down those skills.

We all have our own way in life on how we do and act. However, many students come from all parts of the world. Some ask questions and some just don't ask questions. It's like a religion. What they have been shown in practice, is what they feel is the way it should be. No that's not the case!

But this feedback is good.

Cheers !

Ascend slow as you can air allowing.

I just want to address the point I quoted.

There *is* a point at which you are ascending so slowly that it can no longer be seen as "ascent".

If you are ascending as "slowly as you can, air allowing": You may not be controlling your ascent rate within the bandwidth that allows for offgassing during the ascent. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it means ;

1) you will need to count your bottom time from the moment you submerge until you arrive at your safety stop. The reason being that your ascent may be so slow that you are continuing to on-gass during your ascent. (ie, it is not an ascent but a long multilevel profile). Therefore the time spent on a dead-slow ascent needs to be counted as bottom time. Obviously this is most relevant if you're using tables.

2) during your ascent you may continue to on-gass, which may lead you actually going over the NDL's during your "ascent". I remember years ago reading a story on Scubaboard from a member who was accustomed to making 3m/min ascents and went considerably over his NDL during an ascent from a deep dive. If you're not ascending fast enough to back off the NDL, then you need to at least watch that you don't go over it. This is especially relevant for tables but even with a computer, if your NDL continues to count down even though you think you're ascending, then you should consider ascending a little faster.

3) the OP didn't mention this but from a depth of 6 metres to the surface, you're in your safety stop zone. You can no longer accumulate enough N2 at this depth to bend you (unless you spend days under water). At 6m and less you can extend your safety stop and/or ascend as slowly as you want without incurring any additional "bottom time" for planning. At this depth, points 1 and 2 above do not hold.

R..

Back
Top Bottom