Ask Performance Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Erin, I frequently dive with Capt. Bill Cole (for the past 28 years!), and he's been telling me about your course. I plan to sign up for it in the spring (warmer water and air!)

Can you recommend fins for a woman who wears size 7-8 shoes? Every time I see cool freediving fins the smallest size is a men's size 7 which is too big. Does Cressi Sub have any that would fit? I'd like to start diving with them this winter before the course.

I am a 61-year-old man in good health and reasonable fitness for my age. I am a new scuba diver (37 dives since getting certified 1 3/4 years ago) but I've been snorkeling for years. I am very comfortable in the water, and I love both snorkeling and diving.

I know how to clear my ears, but when I dive down I get to ten or twelve feet and I cannot clear my ears any more in the time I'm able to hold my breath. (When scuba diving I just stop, and relax, and take a few breaths, and then I can clear and continue. But this is not an option when breath-hold diving).

On one day, but only one day, I got down to 40 or 45 feet. I had been scuba diving for 8 days, and I imagine my Eustachian tubes were stretched out. It was my last day there so I could not scuba dive, and went snorkeling instead. I was able to clear with no difficulty and went right down to the bottom, where there were small coral heads with these tiny purple fishes with bright blue iridescent spots hiding in them. I was the only one there going that deep, and it was fabulous.

But on my next snorkeling trip I hit that plus-or-minus twelve-foot barrier again.

Sitting in my easy chair at home, without hyperventilating, I can hold my breath for a minute and five seconds. Walking slowly, 45 seconds. Pedaling hard on the exercise bike, 15 seconds. I've read that one can hold one's breath longer under water than out of it, but it's hard to believe when I feel that gotta-breathe pain. I don't know my time swimming under water, but I'd guess 30 seconds.

So that's me.

Do you really think you could get me going deeper and staying down longer? What percentage of your students, of those who are already comfortable in the water and have snorkeling experience, are unable to make improvements? How long do your courses run? Is it something that must be practiced continually, or does it stay with you once learned, if you only get to use it a couple of times a year?

I live in Spokane, WA, but would travel to Ft. Lauderdale if I thought I could really improve my breath-hold diving.

Thanks,

Daniel

Ive been looking into getting a wetsuit specifically made for freediving online, but I have to admit Im a bit overwhelmed. I mean whats the practical difference between Heiwa and Yamamoto? Do I really need to spend the extra cash to get a copper coating over titanium? What are the differences between the various coatings and linings? Is smoothskin or open cell that fragile?

I guess I asking for a walk through on choosing a wetsuit...

But on my next snorkeling trip I hit that plus-or-minus twelve-foot barrier again.
Do you really think you could get me going deeper and staying down longer? What percentage of your students, of those who are already comfortable in the water and have snorkeling experience, are unable to make improvements? How long do your courses run? Is it something that must be practiced continually, or does it stay with you once learned, if you only get to use it a couple of times a year?

I live in Spokane, WA, but would travel to Ft. Lauderdale if I thought I could really improve my breath-hold diving.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

12 foot is roughly the maximum depth you can go without equalizing at all.
So i guess you have a hard time equalizing at all head first, can be?

If this is so i have 2 tipps for you:

1. read the article: PREVENTION OF MIDDLE EAR BAROTRAUMA from Edmond Kay, M.D.
Sorry, cannot post links yet, but its easy to google.

2. In my courses i do free immersion (pulling on the rope) - feet first (!) with students that have problems equalizing.
After a couple of successful dives this way you turn and do free immersion - head first, which will be harder, but with enough patience and tries it should also work.
Once you master equalizing head first you can do the same with fins. If you got it working a couple of times you wont forget it. No need to practice continually.

Hope that will help

Wolfgang

Hello Erin, My name is John Robinson and i have been freediving for a couple of years now. But i think i have tought myself all i can on my own. Is there anyone that you know in Jacksonville fl. that is a good teacher ? I would love to come take your class, but who has 700 bucks laying around these days.) Any advice would help at this point. Last weekend i set a new personal best for me 60 feet at blue springs and a 2.33 sec static. I know thats not much to you guys but it felt good .Thank you for your time and God bless you.

Hello Erin, My name is John Robinson and i have been freediving for a couple of years now. But i think i have tought myself all i can on my own. Is there anyone that you know in Jacksonville fl. that is a good teacher ? I would love to come take your class, but who has 700 bucks laying around these days.) Any advice would help at this point. Last weekend i set a new personal best for me 60 feet at blue springs and a 2.33 sec static. I know thats not much to you guys but it felt good .Thank you for your time and God bless you.

Hi Erin, My name is john robinson and i have have been freediving for a couple of yeas now. But i think i have learned all i can on my own. Do you know anyone in Jacksonville fl. that would be willing to teach me . I would love to come take your classes but who has 700 bucks laying around these days.) I set a new personal best this past weekend at blue springs 60 feet and 2.33 sec. static. I know thats not much for you guys but i was happy with myself. Thanks for your time and God bless you and your family.

Hey there Erin,

My name is JC and I have done some freediving in the Virgin Islands and a few other locations. I am about to purchase my own equipment and need some help selecting the proper equipment. I am wanting to buy some high end stuff, but there is so much out there that its not easy to decide what is best. I want the right stuff, as I am going to dive fresh water with a metal detector and want to do some more diving in Salt Water for photo work. I live in Northern VA and would like to find a local trainer or consider making a trip to train on site with you guys.

Any kind words would be truly appreciated!
Thanks so much,
JC Hall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom