Ask Performance Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

The post from "Daniel1948" very accurately describes my situation, except I am not a scuba diver and I am 57 years old. I would most definitely be interested in taking one of your courses. I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, and wondered if you have any courses in my area? Thank you.

I have signed up for your September BC intermediate course and I was wondering about computers. I thought I had seen something about there being computers that we could try out while doing the class. If I saw this correctly, I was wondering if you will have a Uwatec Luna/Sol with the Apnea software to try out? I am interested in this computer and would love to try it out. If not, oh well I am still very excited about the class. This will be my first actual class so I am very much looking forward to improving my knowledge of the sport. I spoke with Mandy Rae and another gentleman (I lost his card) at the Tacoma Dive Expo last month and got the bug. It was good to see at least one freedive specific booth, Cressi was the next closest. I also wanted to say thanks for the excellent videos on Vimeo, great quality stuff.

Just thought I would say hello and see you in September,
Derek

Hi Erin, are there any locations in South Florida offering classes? I've been free diving since I was nine (I'm 26 now), and I always wanted to continue going deeper. I can get to 37 feet comfortably with just my mask/snorkel and fins. I've never really tested how deep I could go.

Thanks,
Krystal

I have just returned home from taking the PFI class in Ft. Lauderdale. On Erin's advice, I took the intermediate and advanced classes back to back, as I wanted more diving than just the 4-day intermediate class.

Before taking these classes my deepest dive was 42 feet and probably around 35 or 40 seconds. (I was wearing a depth gauge but no timer.) My best static apnea was 3:21. Erin told me they could get me to 75 feet, which I dismissed as hyperbole, but I was confident I could get to 50 feet, and had hopes that maybe they could get me to 60. I "just knew" that below that was unrealistic for me.

The classes were amazing. We learned dive physiology, dive psychology, and dive physics, some of which I already knew, but much of which was new to me. We learned dive safety, all of which was new to me. We learned warm-up techniques, and diving techniques, from entry to equalizing, to finning, to weighting, to recovery breathing after the dive. We did static and dynamic apnea in the pool, we practiced rescue scenarios, and we learned exercises for warm-up, and for long-term improvement of lung flexibility and breath-hold time.

During the intermediate class I achieved a 20-meter dive (66 feet) with a dive time of 58 seconds. That was 6 feet deeper than my goal, and within 2 seconds of my time goal. I also managed a 3:45 static.

During the advanced class I managed a 4:15 static, and I achieved an incredible (incredible for me) dive of 27.5 meters (90 feet) with a dive time of 1:02.

I am not an athlete. I've never been any good at sports. I jog for 30 to 40 minutes at a 13:20 pace (any slower and I'd be walking rather than jogging). I didn't really belong in the advanced class. I was the only one in that class who had never been to 100 feet. And in fact I skipped some of the advanced rescue practices because they were beyond my ability. But I still learned a lot, and I am a much better and safer diver, and will be a better buddy, for having taken the class.

I highly recommend PFI for classes at whatever level you are at. If you don't know, they'll help you figure it out. Reading this thread, Erin doesn't seem to be posting here any more. But their phone number is on their web site. They are very friendly, very positive, and they know what they are doing. Very importantly for me, an instructor accompanied me on every target dive I made, and during the intermediate course, on every warm-up dive as well. (By the last couple of days of the advanced class, I was comfortable doing my warm-up pull-downs with only surface safety.)

I still find it hard to believe that I swam down to 90 feet one one breath of air, and made it back to the surface unaided. (Accompanied, of course, by Erin on that dive, as by an instructor on every dive, but entirely under my own power and on my own one breath of air.) That's more than double my previous best depth, and roughly 50% longer than my previous longest dive time. My new goal is to increase my dive time to 1:30, which I think is within the realm of possibility, with the breath-hold exercises they gave us. (O2 and CO2 tables, which are also available elsewhere, though I would recommend understanding what you're doing before you try them, as you can black out if you do them improperly.)

Hey Daniel, great job! I agree, it is amazing what you can achieve with the right training and technique. I second your recommendation. I took the PFI course as well this past August and was very impressed with the course and most importantly the instructors. Ted, Erin, Ashley, Ren and the others were great and very patient. If anyone is on the fence about taking the course don't be, just do it. I've been an avid diver for a long time but NEVER free dove outside of a deep pool or a shallow reef (deepest probably a crazy 15 feet) and certaintly with no regularity. During the course I hit over 80 feet and hit 66 feet the first day...and exactly one week prior to the course I got nailed with a nasty cold that kept me home for 2 days so my ears were giving me a hard time. If I can do it then everyone should give it a shot.::D

Good Day Erin,

I hope this message find you well.

I am in the process to buy a new pair of fins. I am using right now the Mares Plana Avanti L but after almost 19 years of loyal service it is time to move on. I did my fining without any neoprene socks, but is better to buy a pair of fins that I can use with a of neoprene socks?

I live in Montreal (Canada) but I only dive in indoor pool or warm water so I do not need thick neoprone sock. I hope to take your course in 2011, so if it is required to have neoprene socks with fins, I will the buy a pair with the right foot size.

Thank you again and I wish you Happy New Year

Francois:balloons:

Hey there, do you have any courses offered currently in Monterey, CA?

Let me be the first on this thread to congratulate Erin Magee for breaking her own 71-meter U.S. Women's Constant-Weight record by diving to an incredible 80 meters at Deja Blue II in Cayman this week. That's 262 1/2 feet, for anyone still using the archaic English system. On one breath of air!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom