At what age did this start happening to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have run into a bunch of people I have not seen in years over the last 5 or 6 months and they all end up asking the same question "Do you still dive?". I just turned 55 two days ago. At what age did this start happening to you?

Well, the people i bump into once or twice a year are amazed i am still alive (including my dad). Most of them have no idea i still play hockey and scuba dive.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

well, not very well....

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 11:53 PM ----------

The hockey, I am an awesome diver

I only started diving 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm 57 now. No one has asked me that. What I have gotten from the ever growing sidemount crowd is that I should consider my back and switch from back mounted doubles to sidemount.

I'm 66 and have been diving for 51 years now, doing more dives these days (200-350/year) than I did in my younger years. They wouldn't dare ask, but even if I did having dived so long I wouldn't be able to hear them anyway.

I have never been asked. It would be asking are you too old to have sex.

As long as they ask the question, they don't think it's a ridiculous question to ask. If they think I can still dive, it's a good sign.

I'm 60 and a mostly retired commercial diving consultant. I passed my annual commercial diving medical for saturation diving earlier this year. I'm an ex-Navy Diver and try to keep fit. I continue to teach, so my answer to this question is a resounding YES (by the grace of God). Hopefully, I'll continue to dive for many years, but I know the days are shorter than they once were...

When it's time to hang-up my fins I'll still have the fond (and not so fond) memories. It gives me comfort to have taught my children, so the torch has been passed on to another generation...

I'm 65 and in denial. When people ask if I still dive I just assumed they were trying to make conversation. Do you still have that ol Samurai, are you still living there, are you still doing your daily walks, are you still working there. It never occurred to me they were thinking about my age

It could be they are just curious to see if you are diving and have nothing to do with age. I just started diving this year and people I have not seen lately ask me that. That's my assumption cause they would have to be nuts to think I'm stopping and I am 50 plus some.

I'm just turned 57 and make 50-60 dives a year. In the gym 6 days a week. Plan is to dive until I'm 75. Got get my money's worth from all my gear and camera stuff.

No one asks if I still dive at 57. Just how do I stay in the shape to keep doing it.

I'm just turned 57 and make 50-60 dives a year. In the gym 6 days a week. Plan is to dive until I'm 75.

So the day after your 75th birthday, you're going to quit diving? :D

I'm 58. Never been asked if I still dive. A few asked if I still surf. I'm like...I live in Belize....look at a map. I wish.

I actually don't dive scuba that often anymore. I'm in the water about 6 hours per week but mainly free diving.

Back
Top Bottom