At what age did this start happening to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my 0W 2 days before my 71st birthday. I plan to dive for another 15 years or so. Just finished my Nitrox this week because my Dr said it might be easier on my cardio system. The only problem I have is a back problem that limits what I can lift up the ladder. So I just make arrangements to remove unit and weights in the water and hand them up on the boat. I just make arrangements ahead of time.

Wise approach making arrangements ahead of time they will be able to tell you if it is possible to hand gear up. Occasionally the type of boat and dive conditions do not allow for that option :)

I get the bad back thing for sure. I have to watch body mechanics very carefully how I move and gear up etc. I must say I find that when my back is playing up a nice deep dive with some good stretching and flexing at depth seems to actually help my back.

I find it is important to watch how I "balance" my weight and be careful not to arch my back or curve it during the dive. I think mastering bouyancy control and a good BCD make a real difference. IMHO back inflate is much better than jacket when you have back issues. It doesn't take much effort to learn to inflate on the surface, roll over and swim on you back on the surface either. Just a few tips that have helped with my back issues not sure if it will help yours but I thought I would mention it.

I've been diving for 52 years now. So far I don't think anyone has asked whether I'm "still diving" at my age. The first one who does may have to get re-edumacated! Heck, I've seen twenty- and thirty-somethings who need to get asked this question!

People that i haven't seen for awhile ask me all the time and have been asking me for years. It's not my age (I don't think) as much as it is that they find it novel and also, that I'm fanatical within their experience.

I see you're slowing down.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2014 at 07:56 PM ----------

The only place I ever get asked such a silly question is on internet forums. I once had someone here on ScubaBoard suggest that I need to get out and dive more ... I quite agree ... I only managed about 240 dives this year ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I see you're slowing down Bob.

I used to do over 300 dives a year and over the last 15 years have averaged about 200, but this year I'm not sure I'll hit that average. The thing that is slowing me down has nothing to do with the diving itself... just editing all the video I shoot underwater! Hmmm... maybe I should just find a lovely lady-go-diver who enjoys editing.

I've been diving for 52 years now. So far I don't think anyone has asked whether I'm "still diving" at my age. The first one who does may have to get re-edumacated! Heck, I've seen twenty- and thirty-somethings who need to get asked this question!
Good for you on the still diving part, at your age.... Fyi I was 2 years old when you started! LOL

Go no further that David Attenborough , I believe he was still diving and making documentaries at the ripe age of 86 and the last documentary I saw he was 80 or 81 and in a wet suit…. Today he is 86…. What a man…

Her in Europe where the water is colder age only plays a role on whether you dive wet or dry, the elder divers due to excessive cold exposure choose to convert to dry suits, besides that its still all good..

:snorkel::snorkel::snorkel:

If there ever comes a time that I can't pick my gear up and put it in the back of the car then I might stop diving with a double set and/or stages.

I figure the period of time between me stopping with diving and me being cremated and my ashes spread into the ocean will be fairly short.

R..

I'm 67 and have not been asked that question yet. I am also not the oldest in a group of active divers. Most of the regular divers I dive with are over 45. I suspect that non-divers might be inclined to ask that question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom