At what depth to deploy DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsona1503

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just as I think I've gotten pretty good at deploying my DSMB I'll screw up, just occasionally. I get wrapped up in attaching to my finger spool, getting it unrolled, filling it with air from my octo. Then I look up and I'm 5 feet from the surface. These are within NDL dives and after I've done 3 mins. I'm kicking little and not realizing it.

I thought I would start deploying at around 30 instead of 15.

What depth do you deploy?

What depth do you deploy?

Depends on why I'm deploying.

If it's just practice, 10 or 15'.

If it's for a marker or deco, deploy as needed.

I generally deploy mine (within reason) when we signal to come up... most of the time I'm diving with newer divers and giving them a reference while asending is something i feel is important.

if i can't see up to the surface I don't though... i don't really want to tangle up another diver if i can help it.

I generally deploy mine (within reason) when we signal to come up... most of the time I'm diving with newer divers and giving them a reference while asending is something i feel is important.

if i can't see up to the surface I don't though... i don't really want to tangle up another diver if i can help it.

This is what I was thinking. My observations of deployment come from the 40 dives I've made in Cozumel. All but one DM deployed at the safety stop and the one, did so for the first low on air to go up and pulled along for the rest of the dive. We are not the first ones low on air but many times next to last and signal then go up by ourselves to deploy and hang for the safety stop. Our first few Coz dives we had our own DM and she deployed at 15 feet. When we are in the last group all of our DMs deployed at 15 and it just got me thinking why wait.

Depends on why I am deploying it. If it is just to hang from on deco or to signal boats of my presence I will do it at between 30' ans 80'. I always carry enough line to deploy from my bottom depth even if over 300' during deep tech dives I will deploy 2 surface markers on the same line as a sign of help (already established as a sign of emergency). I would try not to have to do it above 20' as even the best buoyancy control is hard when busy above 20'.

This is what I was thinking. My observations of deployment come from the 40 dives I've made in Cozumel. All but one DM deployed at the safety stop and the one, did so for the first low on air to go up and pulled along for the rest of the dive. We are not the first ones low on air but many times next to last and signal then go up by ourselves to deploy and hang for the safety stop. Our first few Coz dives we had our own DM and she deployed at 15 feet. When we are in the last group all of our DMs deployed at 15 and it just got me thinking why wait.

was it on a reel or fixed length of rope? I always attach mine to my reel then wind it in on the way up.... most other people have a 5-7m specific length of line, so they just inflate it when they get to the SS depth.

Hi,
Me and my Dive Buddy deploy ours at our safety stop of around 15-20ft.Than surface after our safety stop..
Kurt in Cebu

On recreational dives, I normally deploy from the bottom using a finger reel.

I prefer to announce my ascent at the earliest possible time and I am usually guiding other divers - so providing them with a visual/tactile reference for ascent seems like the best thing to do. :)

There is 15m of line on my smb reels, spools, with knots tied at 5m and 3m.

General dive I usually deploy at 10m.

I drop the reel, spool first.

Depending on who is below me, sometimes on their head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom