Athens Scuba Park Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like anywhere, Athens and Clear Springs have their good and bad points. One nice thing is that they are less then an hour's drive from each other, so you could easily dive both in the same weekend.

I have been to athens when the vis is great, and I have been when the vis was worse than any Texas lake. Personally Clear springs is closer and the worst vis I have had at clear springs does not come close to as bad as I have seen it at athens. So I go to clear spings. That said both have friendly staff.

Just my .02

Well I went yesterday and could see from the nose all the way to the tail of the jet they sunk out there. It's either 60 or 70 feet long. So I'll be conservative for the non believers and say vis was 60 feet. The temps according to the ol computer was 75.

I talked with a diver yesterday that was there last weekend and said the viz was great over 30', so we will be headed there next weekend.

Sinking a new jet in the lake at the end of next month really sounds interesting, I don't want to miss that!!

Fire diver i don't recall saying anything that was a lie when someone as a question i tell the truth. The viz was what i said it was that day. I don't lie and if you like we can even meet in person to talk about it.

Last edited:
Fire diver i don't recall saying anything that was a lie when someone as a question i tell the truth. The viz was what i said it was that day. I don't lie and if you like we can even meet in person to talk about it.

Why not step away from the keyboard and take your meds before you stroke out. I have never seen 50 foot vis in any small body of water. Many people sharing the same opinions of vis and I will believe it, but not until then. In the mean time you should really try to chill out.

You speak of a place you have never been and you are a expert funny how that works.

I have been going to Athens for over 20 years. The picture of me in the water was taken at Athens Scuba Park. Calvin and Shannon make me feel so welcome when I am there. I have had the opportunity to dive, ride and help move some of the wrecks there. It is a great place to practice bouyancy and to test out your gear and different gear configurations before a big trip. It is nice because you have docks to enter and exit the water versus climbing up a rock ledge. It also is a nice place to come and hang out. There is always something going on. Calvin is an interesting person to talk to when it comes to treasure hunting and search and salvage. He is an expert at these things. He has a lot of neat things in his store from underwater metal detectors to full face masks and underwater communications equipment. Occasionally, he will have demos out in his pool and from time to time will have different manufacturers come out and let people try out gear. I love going there because it is only an hour and a half away and I always come back feeling nice and relaxed.

I have seen vis in Athens where you could see from one end of the plane to the other and then some.

I have seen vis in Clear Springs where you could see the surface from the top of the silo.

Both occasions the Texas wind machines had been turned off for a week and the water was below 70*.

Good diving yall. I'll be in Mammoth this weekend.

Places in Texas I have seen vis of 50 feet...
Balmorhea
Aquarena (San Marcos)
Athens (got it on video)
Possum Kingdom Lake (BUT it was away from shore and below 25 feet. The first 25 feet, vis was about 8 feet, and then we dropped under the thermocline and the vis was stunning!)
CSSP (okay, okay...maybe it was only 30 feet. But from the surface we were watching fish on the bottom 30 feet below and it was clear as a bell...I'm only assuming we could have seen farther if the water had been deeper, and we didn't want to move over to the silo).

It's not all that common, but it does happen.

Back
Top Bottom