Athens Scuba Park Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txscubagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I did my open water dives this weekend (may 1-2) in Athens. It seems like it would be a really fun place to get used to diving, but the conditions this weekend were not even close to ideal. On Saturday morning, it was raining and it was pretty chilly. This visibility was about 1 ft., which made it very difficult to perform our skills. We weren't able to see any of the planes, boats, etc. at the bottom of the lake. On Sunday, things started to look up. It was still pretty cold in the morning, but once the sun came out, we warmed up and really started to have fun. Visibility was up to about 3 ft. Not much better, but we were able to see the new bus, and the jet. The surface temp. was about 70 and then down at about 24 ft. it was 64 degrees. Pretty chilly, but as long as we were moving we stayed comfortable in a 6 mil. suit. I have heard that when conditions are good, this is a really fun place to dive. I would love to go back later on in the season. But for now, I am officially a certified diver!!!!

Congratulation on your certification! Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell is also a great local place to dive. Have fun.

Congratulations!

Good for you, sticking it out in that nasty weather! Congratulations on your cert!
Foo

Congrats! FYI; we've dived Athen's a few times to refresh our skills and just have some fun. Later in the year when the rains have eased up a bit you'll find it has a pretty good visibility and nice warm water compared to terrell. Not much life in the lake but it's great for using the skills and getting in the water ! Pretty cool stuff inside the plane - watch your air bubbles run along the roof - so cool! :)

People there are very friendly and very helpful too I found. Rental gets kinda pricey mind, but once you start building up your own kit athens isn't too harsh on the pocket.

Gotta get myself out to Terrell now the suns back with us.

[btw, we certified in < 5 ft visibility too. If anything it taught a healthy respect for buddy pairs before we went loose in the world! ]

FYI: I really don't know how this got started, but there is no apostrophe in the middle of Athens.

I dove Athens this past weekend May 7, 8, 9,. On Friday the vis was about 65ft. A few classes came in on Sat. and dropped it down to about 50ft. It is a fun place to dive and relax. I will be going back on the 22 & 23 of this month for a birthday weekend and a couple of ow students. The people there are great

50 to 65 FEET in Athens? I've never see that kind of vis in any body of fresh water in Texas! I need to plan a trip!

That's really interesting, seeing as how Athens Scuba Park's maximum depth is only 35-40 feet. And if you're measuring horizontally, the best I've ever seen out there is 15-20 feet, and that is extremely rare.

Great Kudos on the cert. You have opened up a world of fun and excitement. Congrats. again!

ScubaTexan:
FYI: I really don't know how this got started, but there is no apostrophe in the middle of Athens.

Ken, your attention to detail is great (your writing background is showing). :wink: Since ya can't make it to Coz, I'm gonna be in Aubrey/Frisco area on Memorial Day weekend. Wanna do lunch or something? (conjuntions, fragments, run-ons, grumble grumble) :D

(alot is two words) :11:

Congrats. again txscubagirl! Hope to see you at dive sites somethyme. sp. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom