Athens Scuba Park Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98:
Ken, your attention to detail is great (your writing background is showing). :wink: Since ya can't make it to Coz, I'm gonna be in Aubrey/Frisco area on Memorial Day weekend. Wanna do lunch or something? (conjuntions, fragments, run-ons, grumble grumble) :D

We'll see. I might even find a way to sneak out to CSSP sometime that weekend, if you still want to dive. Maybe it won't be as crowded as Lake Travis (yeah, right...lol). :)

ScubaTexan:
We'll see. I might even find a way to sneak out to CSSP sometime that weekend, if you still want to dive. Maybe it won't be as crowded as Lake Travis (yeah, right...lol). :)

Crowds? No way. Couldn't be.

Can't do CSSP that weekend, ya know how 'Ollidays are with relatives (kids just moved to Dallas from S.A.).

Check your pm's, some of the menu for that weekend is there.

Much obliged, mon... :wink:

This past weekend you could go to the jet and you could sit on the tail and see the nose of the plane. You could also see from one wing tip to the other and the wings are close to 30ft each.

I have seen 60 foot horizontal visibility in Athens. Calvin treats the water with a coagulant. If there is no rain, and little wind for a period of time visibility can be awesome. Rain, wind, and divers will rook it up though.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I have seen 60 foot horizontal visibility in Athens. Calvin treats the water with a coagulant.

What's this coagulant stuff, and how does it work? If I dump enough of it in Offat's Bayou, will it clear up?

I think he used to use Alum. It binds up the tiny particles into bigger particles and makes them sink. The tradeoff is its toxic to fish. I don't know if he still uses Alum or something else.

TwoBit

That's a lot of bloody chemicals, to alter the pH so much. The regional Texas Parks and Wildlife office must have a file on Athens an inch thick with permits... whew!

Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread in advance of my own first dive at Athens this weekend (22-23 May.) Coming from warmer diving, I was thrilled to see the Athens Park website advertising "water temp - bottom -73 top 74
visibility 55+ feet" (as of 9:40 am 17May.) Thanks to this board, I see that my tropical-weight suit won't be enough for the lowest depths/temps over two days. Rental shop, here I come!

Back
Top Bottom