Athens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TruckDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone :wave: Anybody been diving at Athens lately? Their website shows a water temp of 70 degrees and I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Haven't been to Athens but that sounds about right. Blue Lagoon was 72 at the surface last weekend and Lake Travis is reporting 68-70.

It's warming up fast!

Hey TruckDiver....

Will you and your lovely/charming wife be able to join us at Lake Travis on Memorial Day?

Also, I'm open most weekends for getting to PK or Terrell if you need someone to dive with.

Howdy, I don't know if we'll make it to Travis or not. Too many variables right now,that's the weekend after we get back from Grand Cayman. We'll have to see how things go. Would like to make it though, might just show up Sunday and spend the day.

As far as diving PK or Terrell, I'd love to go, but isn't it a bit chilly yet? I've only got a 2.5mm wetsuit and although I have a good natural layer of insulation, I would hate to become the blue skinned diver dressed in black:eek: That's why I was asking about Athens, if the water is 70, I think we could deal with it. And we really need to get some dives in before our trip. 3 weeks to go and I haven't dove since Sept. 8th!

Hey Texas_Mike or anyone else... I'll meet you in Terrell or Athens anytime. I can't seem to find anyone around here who can dive enough on the weekends... I think its about an hour to and hour and a half drive from here. Let me know if you're interested. I have a 5 mm wetsuit. Just no dive buddy.;-0

I haven't posted about it but I may join the group going to Blue Lagoon if I don't have to work that Saturday. Hopefully they post something about a hotel and the cost and stuff soon. Would love to dive someplace different!!!

Stacy

Stacy, if you are needing the information regarding the Dive-In Day at Blue Lagoon on May 19, here it is from Dee's post in another topic. I will probably be up there myself.

INTERNATIONAL DIVE IN DAY - MAY 19, 2002

That is right, "Dive In Day" is coming again. Come on out, winter is over, get back into your diving mode, brush up your scuba skills, test that new gear, be part of an “International” event or just have FUN! Houston Divers are hoping to beat our personal record and last year's international record.

In case you do not know what "Dive In Day" is, here's a brief run down. This is the 4th year we try to see how many divers we can get in the water at the EXACT SAME TIME, on the same day, worldwide. That day, this year will be May 19, 2002, the time is 10 a.m. CST for us in Texas.

The Houston Texas Chapter of the HammerHeads will be hosting the event at the "Blue Lagoon" up in Huntsville, TX.. Everyone that dives, is invited to come join in on the FUN, and help in the attempt to break last years record. Belonging to a Houston HammerHeads Scuba Club is NOT a requirement to participate. Most of us from Houston have been to the Blue Lagoon before, but in case you haven't dove there before, here is a little information on the dive site. The Blue Lagoon is a quartzite quarry near Huntsville, north of the prisons. Some, probably the owner :eek:) , has referred it to as “Cozumel in the Pines”. The Blue Lagoon really does have the bluest fresh water you will find in Texas. The visibility can be 25'+ on a good day, before divers stir up the bottom. The only thing I do not like is the lack of marine life. The only marine life you might see there is called a dragonfly nymph, they look and act similar to a shrimp. In one lagoon there are also some little fish that someone introduced there, but I do not remember the name of the fish. (The fish are a species of African Cichlid that thrives in high alkaline water.) There are dive platforms for training and a number of sunken boats. This can be a fun dive, because you do have some visibility and a fairly large area to dive in. Get off the couch and come on out !!

WHEN: May 19, 2002
WHERE: The Blue Lagoon, in Huntsville, TX
FEE: Only the $15 paid to the Blue Lagoon for entry to the lake. NO FEE TO PARTICIPATE in the event!
TIME: Arrive NO LATER than 9 a.m. This will allow you time to sign in at the Blue Lagoon office. It also gives you time to gear up and sign the "Official" Dive In Day roster at the HammerHead dive site, this is for the official count.
Directions: (From Houston) Take I-45 North to Huntsville. Take exit #123 (Pinedale Rd.) and travel east (right turn) for 4 miles down a gravel road. Blue Lagoon & Sign In Shack will be on the left, look close the turn is easy to miss. The Blue Lagoon’s telephone number is - (936) 291-6111

The Blue Lagoon has agreed to let you dive on Saturday, CAMP OUT on Saturday night, (for a price) and dive with Dive In Day on Sunday, just make sure the Blue Lagoon knows you are there for Dive In Day. Last year they let us camp for free with the price of diving Saturday, do not know how they will run it this year.
The dive sites will be the Blue Lagoon's sites 6&7, the same area as last year, so don't get lost !!. (this doesn't say which lagoon, 1 or 2, so you need to ask at sign-in.)

Reminder, the Blue Lagoon has NO FRESH DRINKING WATER and "Porta-Potties", (Yes, there are potties!) so if you camp be prepared. If you plan on camping it would be best to contact the club, so we could coordinate food, Bar-B-Q's, etc.

There are also 5 hotels in Huntsville, here is a site with that information;
http://www.searchhotels.com/us/tx/huntsville

Hey! Thanks, Mitch! I will probably be up there. Not sure exactly how long it will take to get there. I'll probably stay overnight in one of the hotels (My idea of roughing it is the Motel 6)... giggle.
I'll be coming from Longview so I'll look up directions from yahoo. I'll see if I can talk one of my friends into coming up so I won't be alone. If you get any new info. email me (valenise@yahoo.com).

Thanks again

Stacy

Was out there last weekend to check out the site (new to the area) and the divers coming up said they were getting readings of 69.

Thanks for the info "tx.lakerats" and welcome to the board.

Well, in anyone is interested and depending on the weather, Sheila and I will be at Athens Saturday. We need to get some dives in and I think it will be a bit warmer than CSSP. And with Sheila being the semi-tropical reptile type person she is, this does matter! If anyone else is interested, please let me know cuz if it's cold I 'll be without a dive buddy. :(

I am planning to be at Athens Scuba Park on the weekend of May 18, and at Clear Springs (Terrell) on May 11, if anyone wants to meet me there to dive. I had talked to Tom last weekend about a trip to Terrell, but anyone is welcome to come. You can never have enough dive buddies.

See you on the bottom!

Ken :)

Back
Top Bottom